Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mbryant52

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 29, 2006
Bellingham, Washington
Looking at upgrading the computer. I'm currently on a 1.33 ibook G4. I'd like something with a bigger screen, a little more power, and most importantly the ability to use an evdo card. The apple store has refurbished 1.67 powerbook g4 for $1350, which is about the price range I'm looking at. The powerbook has the pcmcia slot, which is compatible with the current evdo cards. The macbook pro has the expresscard slot, which apparently an express evdo card is right around the corner. Is it worth holding out and paying the extra cash for a macbook pro and waiting on the evdo, or just going with the powerbook? What about future software updates and hardware compatability with the powerpc chips? Thanks.

cbetta

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2006
how about: you buy a macbook, spend the same as you would on the powerbook but get alot more for the price, and additionally you buy a evdo on usb?

mbryant52

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 29, 2006
Bellingham, Washington
I absolutely would if I could. Apple store has a refurbished black(!) macbook for $1300. However, I don't know of a USB adapter for Macs for the EVDO card. And I've looked, extensively. I saw one out there for like $250 and was not compatible with Macs and that was it. Am I overlooking some ingenius and well-priced adapter? And I work for Verizon and know of no usb card...

Also, what more would I be getting with the Macbook, exactly? It seems like they'd be pretty comparable. Maybe I'm missing something again. I work too much.

mbryant52

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 29, 2006
Bellingham, Washington
A little research indicates that Sprint will be releasing a USB EVDO modem sometime near the end of this year, but I'd still have to pay for the card (likely $200) and sign a two-year contract. Whereas if I stuck with Verizon, I can get the card for free and only need a one-year contract, and with the powerbook could do it immedietely.

And it seems like the powerbook was perfected, and I worry about the newness of the macbook. Maybe that's a little irrational of me.

ricgnzlzcr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2005
Well if your ibook does everything you need to power-wise then a powerbook g4 may not be a bad idea. It's cheaper and for the most part they are more "stable." You can probably get a good one off craigslist or these forums for a very decent price with more ram than the apple store.

If you also need more power than your current laptop and want the ability to run windows then save up for a macbook pro or find a nice deal for a refurbished or used 1.8 MBP which i have seen from 1300-1600. You just have to search hard for those.

Either way, good luck with your purchase

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
I say to go for a MacBook Pro mbryant52. :)

mbryant52 said:
How about the 2.0 macbook? Is it really going to be all that much more powerful than the powerbook?

For most tasks yes. The PowerBook G4 will still be faster than the MacBook (but not the MacBook Pro) for gaming and for any non-universal apps (e.g., photoshop). :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.