Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yanathin

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 11, 2006
I'm about to pre-order my MacBook Pro, but I need to know one major thing. I plan on using the laptop just as much at home as I would on the go, so connecting it to my external DVI monitor is a must (I have a Dell 2405fpw). Now, I also have a PC connected to this monitor right now through DVI. I really, really don't want to give up my DVI connection for either, so is there a type of box out there that I can plug both DVI cables into, then switch between the two at any time? Or better yet, is there some type out DVI - Component adapter out there that would give me the same quality as DVI? My monitor has DVI, VGA, and component inputs... I'd really appreciate it if somebody could point me in the least expensive solution for this. Thank you!

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
yanathin said:
I'm about to pre-order my MacBook Pro, but I need to know one major thing. I plan on using the laptop just as much at home as I would on the go, so connecting it to my external DVI monitor is a must (I have a Dell 2405fpw). Now, I also have a PC connected to this monitor right now through DVI. I really, really don't want to give up my DVI connection for either, so is there a type of box out there that I can plug both DVI cables into, then switch between the two at any time?
Yes, a DVI-USB KVM (Keyboard Video Mouse) switcher. These will be moderately pricey - $100 - $200. Belkin, Dr. Bott and iOgear have them. Be careful that you get the DVI-USB one, don't get one that uses PS/2 ports or VGA.

yanathin said:
Or better yet, is there some type out DVI - Component adapter out there that would give me the same quality as DVI?
No

yanathin

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 11, 2006
Exactly what I needed to know... I had no idea what they were called. I did a search on eBay and found one by Gefen - it's the only one I could find that handles 1920x1200, but it's about $200 after tax...

Just making sure, there is absolutely ZERO loss in quality, correct? I'm a graphic/web designer, I need all the quality I can possibly get.:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.