Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacBook_Pro_User

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 23, 2019
There appears to be an issue with the MacBook Pro Touch Bar and Touch ID. There are multiple articles online and videos of customers complaining about MacBook Pro Touch Bar and Touch ID users recently began running into an issue where the machine will not power power-on displaying below error. Unfortunately, I’m one of those customers and there is no easy fix.

“A critical software update is required for your Mac, but a network issue was encountered while installing this update. Your Mac can't be used until this update is installed.”

Some MacBook Pro Touch Bar and Touch ID users have reported being able to resolve the issue by reinstalling macOS using the utilities in macOS Recovery, but that was unfortunately not the case for me. Neither connecting the laptop to a wired network using the Apple USB Ethernet Adapter even at the apple store, nor reinstalling macOS resolves the issue. Resetting the NVRAM (nonvolatile random-access memory) and SMC (System Management Controller) on the MacBook Pro also doesn't fix the issue. This problem is often traced back only to MacBook Pro Touch Bar and Touch ID. Apple Genius Bar also went through the same process to no avail. Running Apple Diagnostics return reference code ADP000, which indicate "No issues found" with the hardware. Customers show not be subjected to this unreasonable or undue burden especially is they are expected to pay for the repairs.

Apple introduced the new MacBook Pro with Touch Bar and as part of the assembly, it contains a sapphire Touch ID sensor. This also included what it has dubbed the T1 chipset. The new chipset, debuting on the MacBook Pro implements Apple's secure enclave, independent of macOS and the Intel processor contained within. It appears by design that the Touch Bar runs independent of macOS, as the bar is used to turn on the computer and authenticate a user. With the addition of its SMC role which requires early activity, the role of the T1 chip in Secure Boot makes it clear that it loads its own firmware well before the EFI firmware and enforces set security policy. In the unlikely event that a T1 firmware update goes wrong, a T1-equipped Mac is unable to start the normal EFI boot process and has to undergo a special recovery procedure.

Several components in the new MacBook Pro appear to be governed by the secure enclave in the T1. As a result, it is possible that a failure of any of the related components would necessitate repairs. This places the customers at an unreasonable burden if having to pay for the repairs or have to purchase Apple care plus in the event this issue arises.

Critical_Software_Update_1.png

Critical_Software_Update_2.png

Critical_Software_Update_3.png

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
So did Apple offer you a replacement? Or how are they going to fix this for you?

BuCkDoG

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2013
I have not heard of or seen this issue personally or anywhere online. When did this start happening?

MacBook_Pro_User

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 23, 2019
I have not heard of or seen this issue personally or anywhere online. When did this start happening?
There are multiple forums, articles online and videos of customers complaining about MacBook Pro Touch Bar and Touch ID users recently began running into an issue where the machine will not boot up. Unfortunately, I’m one of those customers and there is no easy fix.
[doublepost=1553583178][/doublepost]
So did Apple offer you a replacement? Or how are they going to fix this for you?
Apple Genius Bar also went through the same process to no avail and ended up shipping the unit for repair. Unfortunately, my MacBook Pro Touch Bar was a month out of warranty and they are trying to charge me for the repairs. The ran a hardware check and there were no hardware issues. I'm not sure why they would try to charge for such a flaw the design.

In the unlikely event that a T1/ T2 firmware update goes wrong, a T1 / T2-equipped Mac is unable to start the normal EFI boot process and has to undergo a special recovery procedure. This is where you might end up with an expensive brick.

Several components in the new MacBook Pro Touch Bar and Touch ID are governed by the secure enclave in the T1 (T2 in the newer models). Hence, a failure of any of the related components would necessitate repairs.

Reactions: SDColorado

Sam Luis Obispo

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2006
There are multiple forums, articles online and videos of customers complaining about MacBook Pro Touch Bar and Touch ID users recently began running into an issue where the machine will not boot up. Unfortunately, I’m one of those customers and there is no easy fix.
[doublepost=1553583178][/doublepost]
Apple Genius Bar also went through the same process to no avail and ended up shipping the unit for repair. Unfortunately, my MacBook Pro Touch Bar was a month out of warranty and they are trying to charge me for the repairs. The ran a hardware check and there were no hardware issues. I'm not sure why they would try to charge for such a flaw the design.

In the unlikely event that a T1/ T2 firmware update goes wrong, a T1 / T2-equipped Mac is unable to start the normal EFI boot process and has to undergo a special recovery procedure. This is where you might end up with an expensive brick.

Several components in the new MacBook Pro Touch Bar and Touch ID are governed by the secure enclave in the T1 (T2 in the newer models). Hence, a failure of any of the related components would necessitate repairs.

Were there any problems that you experienced that foreshadowed the complete failure of this T1/T2 chip? Something that could be noticed before warranty expires?

MacBook_Pro_User

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 23, 2019
Were there any problems that you experienced that foreshadowed the complete failure of this T1/T2 chip? Something that could be noticed before warranty expires?

Not at all. Apple Genius Bar ended up sending it for repair. They initially stated that they replaced the logic board after they unit was shipped back but my first indication was that the board had not been replaced. After investigating further, they ended up stating that no part was replaced and it was just a software issue and offered to cover the labor cost.
When I got home, I notice that everytime I open and close the lid, it would making a popping sound.
I took it back and Apple Genius Bar said that they would check it out and ended up stating that they damages the antenna while they unit was there. As a result, they just gave me a complete new and sealed MacBook Pro Touch Bar and Touch ID and added Apple Care+.
[doublepost=1554758982][/doublepost]
Not at all. Apple Genius Bar ended up sending it for repair. They initially stated that they replaced the logic board after they unit was shipped back but my first indication was that the board had not been replaced. After investigating further, they ended up stating that no part was replaced and it was just a software issue and offered to cover the labor cost.
When I got home, I notice that everytime I open and close the lid, it would making a popping sound.
I took it back and Apple Genius Bar said that they would check it out and ended up stating that they damages the antenna while they unit was there. As a result, they just gave me a complete new and sealed MacBook Pro Touch Bar and Touch ID and added Apple Care+.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.