Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kevinliu4

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 8, 2006
Does anyone know the brand of ram that comes standard with MacBook Pros?

(I did a search but I'm not sifting through hundreds of threads!)

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark
bigandy said:
You believe correctly. ;)

That's good to know :D

Remember I saw one stick of Hynix when I inserted more memory into my MacBook Pro but I was overly excited so didn't really look closer.

kevinliu4

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 8, 2006
if hynix ram is difficult to find, is it better to buy two new ram sticks of the same brand as opposed to buying one and mixing it with the hynix ram? i've heard mixed views on the topic of mixing ram brands.

i can get ram at a reasonable price so it's not a big deal but don't want to waste money unnecessarily either.

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
kevinliu4 said:
if hynix ram is difficult to find, is it better to buy two new ram sticks of the same brand as opposed to buying one and mixing it with the hynix ram? i've heard mixed views on the topic of mixing ram brands.

i can get ram at a reasonable price so it's not a big deal but don't want to waste money unnecessarily either.

I doubt it will really matter these days. What you'd want to have is to have 2 sticks that are of the same specifications (ie: clock and size) rather than 2 sticks of the same brand.

Of course IANAEE (I am not an electrical engineer) so I do not know if there are other things that'd matter apart from size, my understanding is ram modules also seem to come in different configurations based on the number of chips on them as well as the density of each, so it might be actually worthwhile to have matched pairs instead.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.