Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

supergod

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 14, 2004
Toronto
As far as design, it seems that a lot of people on here are complaining that "it looks the same as the old one". I personally think that aesthetically, the design is perfect or flawless. Obviously, technically, the design could always stand for improvement with many of the suggestions made (added USB). The keyboard however is pretty sweet and I think ideas like a detachable keyboard are more gimmick than function: how often would anyone do that and how much quicker would the overall device break down as a result of that function?

With the explanations given for a decrease (standardised formats to simplify programming, less pixel "lines") it makes me wonder why Apple would put a higher res 15.2" display in the powerbook in the first place, and not switch the display at the time of the last revision.

Also, as a side question: how long does everyone think it will be before Apple puts the new camera lense into cinema displays? I assume they'll keep making the iSight for the time being, but having a camera in the display would certainly be a very elegant solution. Maybe around the time they introduce a Theater Display or whatever they'll call their next big ass mutha?

dblissmn

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2002
I'm in favor of the shift in displays. As an earlier poster noted, ditch the custom 1440-960 for an industry standard one, get a better quality display.

And as I'll add, I personally think 110 pixels per inch beats 114. I don't want to see HD displays until the user interface is truly scalable. The difference between the 106 ppi iBook and the 114 ppi DL Powerbook was quite noticeable and in my view took things too far. It's going to take Leopard and a whole round of application upgrades before we even have a shot at a scalable UI.

wiggy4ever

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2005
I agree, the price jump seems quite rediculous for what you get...
nutmac said:
I think Apple should've offered higher resolution LCD on the $2499 model. That $500 premium adds 0.16 GHz faster CPU clock speed, 512 MB extra RAM ($100 upgrade), 128 MB extra VRAM (not offered but $75 upgrade for iMac), and 20 GB extra disk space ($100 upgrade). In other words, $500 equals to $275 worth of built-to-order options plus 0.16 GHz faster CPU. Apple should've made it more enticing by offering 1680x1050 LCD, although I have a feeling Apple won't have much trouble selling both $1999 and $2499 MacBook Pros.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
nutmac said:
I think Apple should've offered higher resolution LCD on the $2499 model. That $500 premium adds 0.16 GHz faster CPU clock speed, 512 MB extra RAM ($100 upgrade), ...
Actually, the RAM upgrade is $200. The 1.83 has a single 1GB RAM chip. The 1.67 has a single 512MB chip. The BTO options call for a second 512MB chip @ $100 and a swap of the 512 to 1GB @ $200.

So really, it's $375 for the upgrades. So for the extra $125 you get the 0.16 Ghz.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.