Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Animattronic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 1, 2018
Hello!
I'm relatively new MacBook user - I've switched from ThinkPad in 2015, when mid-2015 Retina models came out. I really like the computer, mostly use it for a data science tasks - data-intensive algorithms, programming, data visualization etc. Apparently, my Apple Care period has ended now, so I'm left with no warranty anymore. So far so good - nothing bad happens with this computer.

Although I have a question to you - how "fixable" is MacBook Pro 2015 15"? Is it even possible for some authorized service to fix e.g. dead SSD drive (I'm reading/writing a lot of files, so one day it might crash), or dead RAM? To be honest, I don't have much knowledge about hardware, so when I hear e.g. "soldered SSD" - all it means for me is that if SSD dies, you have to literally replace whole motherboard. Is that right?

Apart from that - I'm not an Apple fanboy (sorry :p ) - I treat this computer just as very nice an reliable tool. I was wandering if my MBP dies, I'll go with latest ones, but I have a lot of doubts. It seems that Apple has taken very aggressive steps to prevent anyone from touching their computers from inside - so if your precious i9 MBP 2018 dies one day after warranty period, does it mean that you have to buy one, because it is 100% un-fixable? If yes - that probably I'll go back to ThinkPads and say "bye bye" Apple for good.

Best regards and thank you in advance

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
Although I have a question to you - how "fixable" is MacBook Pro 2015 15"? Is it even possible for some authorized service to fix e.g. dead SSD drive (I'm reading/writing a lot of files, so one day it might crash), or dead RAM? To be honest, I don't have much knowledge about hardware, so when I hear e.g. "soldered SSD" - all it means for me is that if SSD dies, you have to literally replace whole motherboard. Is that right?

The SSD is not soldered, but it's not a common item to be found. The RAM is soldered.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
For data science, if that means creating and training machine learning models, Macs are constrained platforms because of lack of support for AMD GPUs. Take a look at a system with NVidia GPU. If you don't like Windows run Linux.

Animattronic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 1, 2018
Hello!
Thank you for your answers. If SSD is replaceable - good, at least this one.
According to Data Science - the point you raised is valid, but only for neural networks. Those I run in the cloud, as even strongest business laptops with NVidias are not fast enough. At least for me. For other models - pure cores power + a lot of RAM is enough I will say :D

And one more question - according to soldered RAM. Does it mean, that really if it fail, than the whole montherboard is going to be replaced? There is no option to seamlessly un-solder it and replace, really?

Ah, an according to Windows/Linux vs MacOS -yes, I agree that nowadys, probably it's better (and cheaper) to get very good (ThinkPad / Precision?) laptop with Linux on board, at least for my case. MacOS is cool, but recent Apple quality issues and overall direction the company is going is not promising I'm afraid.

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
And one more question - according to soldered RAM. Does it mean, that really if it fail, than the whole montherboard is going to be replaced? There is no option to seamlessly un-solder it and replace, really?
That is correct, the entire logic board (we Mac people don't call it a motherboard for some wacky reason ;) ). That's one of the major downfalls of soldering everything on the logic board.

at least for my case. MacOS is cool, but recent Apple quality issues and overall direction the company is going is not promising I'm afraid.
You need to find a computer that best fits your needs, if the MBP is not it, then there are others. I recently returned a Razer Blade 15" and instead bought a MBP, and I couldn't be happier. Different strokes for different folks.

Animattronic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 1, 2018
Hello,
sure, sure as always :) I'm not a hater, I'm not a fanboy, I try not to be biased. Just worried that so many companies now (not only Apple, but also Dell - e.g. XPS 13, Lenovo - Carbon X1 6th) solder down everything, literally forcing customers to buy new equipment if the old one dies after warranty period. I wish there were more models like ThinkPad PXX series, where you can replace almost everything.

Complains aside, thanks a lot. Let's hope my MBP will survive until 2020, when Apple will announce a major redesign with thicker Pros and replaceable parts :D ... well... at least in my dreams :p

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
my MBP will survive until 2020
I'm hoping my laptop will last more then 2 years. I didn't spend almost 3k so it will be around for 24 months. My last laptop, was going strong for 6 years, so that's my goal.

Animattronic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 1, 2018
Wish you that (any myself too!).
Every time I hear complains about MacBooks lifetime/Apple Care/etc. it makes me wonder - in reality, how many their computers are really flawed, and how many of such posts are only angry users who shout loud? It is very common that satisfied users sit silent, and those with problems are the ones, who write comments :D So what is the real scale of the problem with quality issues.

Regards

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
So what is the real scale of the problem with quality issues.
The best we can do, is use Consumer Reports that send out surveys to owners. You're right people here at MR, or other forums, typically come here to complain about a problem or ask for help for a problem. The majority of owners don't post here at MR, just to say their machine is problem free.

With that said, many people here have a history of trivializing the issues that Apple has had, and use that mentality as the reason. I've seen so many posts dismissing the keyboard problem up until it affected them, then they suddenly saw the light and reversed course.

Reactions: jerryk

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
Hello!
I'm relatively new MacBook user...

I was wandering if my MBP dies...

If you are wondering, back in the early 2000s, Apple used terms for computer purchasers in their stores.

A new user was a Neo Phyte. Not the guy from the Matrix. :D

And a laptop user was called Juan Derer. Because he wandered. In case you were wondering. :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.