Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rainmanh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2018
Hi,

I am looking for some sort of adapter/box Thunderbolt2 to Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C)
Has anybody heard of anything like that?

I got a MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014) which got Thunderbolt2 and I love the COmputer, not thinking on replacing it with the latest MBP at the present. So if is there any sort of box/adapter around so I can also get Thunderbolt 3 it would be very helpful.
I understand there is a significant different speed/performance wise between both, anyhow I am trying to fish around some information about it

Many thanks!!

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
I don’t think Thunderbolt 2 is forwards-compatible with Thunderbolt 3, so you won’t have any luck on that front - quite simply TB 3 is faster (20Gbit/s vs 40Gbit/s) so you’d not necessarily be able to run something designed for a faster connection on the slower one. USB 3.1 (used for standard USB C connections) is about 10Gbit/s so it would potentially work, though I haven’t seen any adapters so perhaps it’s not supported.

rainmanh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2018
I don’t think Thunderbolt 2 is forwards-compatible with Thunderbolt 3, so you won’t have any luck on that front - quite simply TB 3 is faster (20Gbit/s vs 40Gbit/s) so you’d not necessarily be able to run something designed for a faster connection on the slower one. USB 3.1 (used for standard USB C connections) is about 10Gbit/s so it would potentially work, though I haven’t seen any adapters so perhaps it’s not supported.

True!

I just meant a USB 3.x to USB C Adapter which indeed are just there.
Not possible to change the bus speed to have thunderbolt3 into a thunderbolt 2 MBP , obviously!!

treekram

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2015
Honolulu HI
You need to clarify what you're looking for. Are you looking to connect:
1) USB-C devices that use USB 3.1 Gen 1 or Gen 2? If so, which Gen - Gen 1 is 5Gbs, Gen 2 is 10Gbs
2) Single Thunderbolt 3 device - if so, what type of device - disk or eGPU or other
3) Thunderbolt 3 dock
4) Monitor that has USB-C connector but not a DisplayPort (Mini or regular) connector.
5) Something else

robvas

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2009
USA
You can use the TB3 to TB2 converter from Apple but it won’t give you USB 3.1

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.