Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slimmy18222

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 13, 2017
Italy
Unfortunately I’ve got a big problem. Let me introduce myself, I’m Covid-19 researcher based in northert Italy, just a bit abroad from you. I constantly work with my MacBook 15” late 2013 and I have a tons of patients data inside it. Suddently my MacBook stop power on for no reason (no Water no shock, I treat it like a baby). Plug-ing ac-adapter show green to amber light and IT does charge the battery (I misured output V), also perform an SMC reset, it work as I see changing in charger light to green and then amber again. But when I try to start it no life at all. I pulled logic out and start measuring power rails according to the schematics. My board is 820-3787-06. I found that Pp5v_s5 1.1v and Pin 14 u7501 1.1v constantly instead of 5v.
When I put the DC-IN I can notice that capacitor C7580 become damn hot like is burning, I think I might be shorted to ground (multimer been on both + and - of this CAP). This cap output is 0.78V. Could be this my problem? Now my question is.. there is something I can try/measure/replace in your advice?

Thanks
image0.jpeg
image1.jpeg
image2.jpeg

GumaRodak

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2015
Try to replace the tant caps, maybe they are hot for some reason.. with schematics it shouldnt be problem for skilled person to get it to work. Try to ask some electrical guy

Reactions: slimmy18222

GumaRodak

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2015
And i suggest to use SnPb4 tin alloy instead of the leadfree ****. It will make the repair much more easier with lower temperatures

Reactions: slimmy18222

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Two things to do: 1. Take your MacBook to the nearest Apple Store and see if they can fix it. 2. Buy a new MacBook, or a refurbished one if money is tight (in the UK, Amazon sells very nice refurbished mid 2015 15" MBPs), take your Time Machine backup, and put everything on your new MacBook.

PS. When your MacBook gets recycled, make sure any patient data on it are safely destroyed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.