Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amriksingh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 12, 2023
I have a MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014) and a few months ago I plugged s audio jack into into the headphone port, after removing the laptop no longe recognises that it has in-built speakers even though they chime on start up. I have tried factory reset and that did nothing along with lots of other thing such as cleaning out the port but nothing. Has anyone else suffered this issue, if so, whats the fix? its hprrible during meeting. The headphone jack still works so I can use that during meetings but its just inconvinient.

Hopefully someone can help.

amriksingh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 12, 2023
I asked because there may be something lodged deep inside which causes the OS to detect the presence of headphones.

The MacBook will chime at start up because it's running diagnostics before turning control of the MacBook to the OS.
So I read this may be the issue and went through the recommended steps for check this but my port seems to be clear.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
This may be a case where you need to take it to an Apple Store and have it checked to insure that no physical damage has been done "inside" the audio-out port...

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I have a MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014) and a few months ago I plugged s audio jack into into the headphone port, after removing the laptop no longe recognises that it has in-built speakers even though they chime on start up. I have tried factory reset and that did nothing along with lots of other thing such as cleaning out the port but nothing. Has anyone else suffered this issue, if so, whats the fix? its hprrible during meeting. The headphone jack still works so I can use that during meetings but its just inconvinient.

Hopefully someone can help.
The sensor in the jack is making the Mac think something is plugged in even when it’s not. Could be physical damage to the sensor… but something that “Sometimes” works is, hold the Mac with the jack facing downward - then insert/remove headphones a few times to see if that loosens up the sensor (or dislodges whatever’s stuck in there).

If you get it working…. I recommend not using the headphone jack any more 😬

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.