Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Flashraziel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2008
While decrypting FileVault, my brother’s MacBook Pro (2013) with an SSD running the latest OS shut down suddenly. I have no clue why he was messing with FileVault but the damage is done.

Now when he tries to log in, it fails and says “the laptop rebooted because of a problem. Press a button or wait to continue” and then restarts again. Disc utility shows the Macintosh HD drive as completely full but first aid shows no problems.

I tried to reinstall MacOS and restore from a local snapshot from a few hours ago but the Macintosh HD drive can’t be selected because it says decryption is still running.

Is this correct? Should I just leave it a few hours to work away or is a full wipe the only way to go?

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
If FV is actually running, you will need to wait until it gets done encrypting, before seeking to reinstall the OS etc. I think you should give it time. While not optimal, FV can pick up where it left off after a reboot.

if the hard drive is a platter, it is going to take some time.

Flashraziel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2008
the only problem with this is that I can’t figure out how to stop it from shutting itself down when left idle on the log in screen or in the Safe mode menu.

Flashraziel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2008
With that information, I would wipe the drive and reinstall.
It wasn’t having any problems. The OS was only recently reinstalled to factory settings. I assume this is when encryption was turned on.

It was causing trouble while trying to set up time machine because the backup wasn’t encrypted so he decided to turn it off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.