Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

-Escher-

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 28, 2005
I'm waiting fro my MBP to come next month.

100/7200
1gb RAM

1-I'll upgrade to 2 gb so I need another 1 gb memory. Which one should I get? The same for the old Powerbook?

2-What kind of sleeve would fit on it? As far as I know, its size is slightly bigger than Powerbook 15''....

thanks

-Escher-

iJUNKY

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2006
Belfast, Ireland
can't help with the memory. though i assume your looking for non-apple memory otherwise you would have bought some off the apple store.

and i can't help you much with sleeves either. I did notice this guy is saying he's making the first Macbook pro bags http://www.tombihn.com/.

the new mbp is, i think longer but thinner than the pb.

but give them time and the manufacturers will roll out line after line of bags, rucksacks, sleeves, hardback, softback, over the shoulder, and hold-all type things.

sorry ive been pretty useless:rolleyes:

h0e0h

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2004
West Monroe, Louisiana
I believe i read where the MacBook uses PC2-5300 memory, which i'm sure is availible at crucial or 18004memory.com

Apple.com said:
Processor and Memory

1.67 or 1.83GHz Intel Core Duo processor, 2MB on chip shared L2 cache running 1:1 with processor speed
667MHz frontside bus
512MB (single SODIMM) of PC2-5300 (667MHz) DDR2 memory on 1.67GHz configuration; and 1GB (single SODIMM) on 1.83GHz configuration; two SODIMM slots support up to 2GB

Crucial is actually pretty cheap

Edit: Not listed on 18004memory.com yet

seattlemaclover

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2004
Seattle Washington USA
Case for MBP

I just preordered the same model! I can't wait!

But anyways, I have a Brenthaven case for my 12PB and love it, so I called them to see if the 15 will fit the MBP. I was told that they have a whole new line that will be out in the next month for the new MacBook Pros I would HIGHLY reccomend Brenthaven's stuff.

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
I've never understood why Apple never made their own line of cases for their laptop line. It seems only natural when you are checking out. Honestly for the price you are paying something should ship with it. even if its a $20 cheap'o cover. I mean right now I'm now in the position of scurrying around to find SOMETHING to fit this thing because I'm sure as heck not taking it out naked.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
The RAM for the MacBook is not the same as any previous Powerbook. It is DDR2-667 SODIMMs (same as the iMac intel Core Duo).

Purchase your RAM from a reputable dealer who tests and guarantees compatibility with your model Mac, offers a lifetime warranty and a no-cost return if it doesn't work. In the USA I second the recommendation to Data Memory Systems

Thanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com

T-Stex

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2006
Pennsylvania
Cases for MacBook Pro

Hey guys. I wasn't sure if anyone has heard of this company, but I've got a laptop sleeve/messenger type bag for my PowerBook from Booq that works great, and I'll probably be getting the same type of bag for my MacBook Pro. These bags look and work great, and I'd recommend them to anyone. I think some of their bags will fit almost any laptop, and it looks like they're coming out with a few designed specifically for the MacBook Pro, here.

-Escher-

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 28, 2005
What I'm gonna tell you may sound crazy:

I'll go back to Brazil (Sao Paulo) in a couple of months with my brand new (and hopefully working fine) MBP. I need to get a non-looking notebook bag, otherwise I will have it stolen in minutes (thieves on motorcicles....)....The best option for me is: Sleeve + very old and nasty back pack!

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
-Escher- said:

I'll go back to Brazil (Sao Paulo) in a couple of months with my brand new (and hopefully working fine) MBP. I need to get a non-looking notebook bag, otherwise I will have it stolen in minutes (thieves on motorcicles....)....The best option for me is: Sleeve + very old and nasty back pack!

Doesn't sound crazy at all. I loved my old car. 1984 Monte Carlo. Beat up rust bucket. I never locked the dang thing because no thief is going to bother with such a peice of crap. Now my Black 2002 Merc Cougar XR is another matter. I don’t even leave my iPod in there when its locked. The point being camouflage via beat up crap is a useful tool. Escher. Go to the Salvation Army store. You might be able to find something old and beat up there.

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
-Escher- said:

I plan to get the Vyper M2 sleeve from Booqbags and then throw it (gently) into my backpack. Unfortunately, it doesn't ship until late March/early April.

-Escher-

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 28, 2005
sw1tcher said:
I plan to get the Vyper M2 sleeve from Booqbags and then throw it (gently) into my backpack. Unfortunately, it doesn't ship until late March/early April.

....I saw this one.....I'll be gone by this time.....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.