Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CADer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 24, 2007
Is anyone else getting this or did I just over look this?

This Link is given on the software update screen.

apple!

Sorry for not having more info I am in the process right now on installing it and I don't know how to take screen shots of anything on a mac yet, I am a slight newb.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Could you or someone post the contents of the installer package?

Otherwise it looks like a mundane imaging error that they want to correct.

squeeks

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2007
Florida
it enables file journaling on your harddrive which apple recommends

not sure if ill install it or not, anyone else have any thoughts?

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis

webgoat

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2007
Austin, TX
i just installed it and its telling me

After installing MacBook, MacBook Pro Software Update 1.0, check your hard disk drive volumes using Disk Utility. Please closely follow the steps below to check your hard disk drive volume:

Insert the Mac OS X Install disc that came with your computer then restart the computer while holding the "C" key.
When your computer finishes starting up from the disc, choose Disk Utility from the Installer menu. (You must select your language first.)
Important: Do not click Continue in the first screen of the Installer. If you do, you must restart from the disc again to access Disk Utility.
Click the First Aid tab.
Click the disclosure triangle to the left of the hard drive icon to display the names of your hard disk volumes and partitions.
Select your internal hard disk drive volume. This is usually Macintosh HD but your internal hard disk drive may have a different name.
Click Repair.
Tip: It's important to start up your computer from a Mac OS X Install or Restore disc to allow Disk Utility to verify or repair your startup volume.

obilix

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2002
well, I just got it myself just now, so it is new.

From the update:
This update enables file system journaling on MacBook and MacBook Pro notebook computers. Some MacBook and MacBook Pro systems were shipped with file system journaling turned off. Journaling is recommended on all Mac computers as a preventative measure against file corruption.

After installing this update, please click here, for further instruction.

I have a SR 2.2Ghz MacPro.

CADer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 24, 2007
Yeah so I think I did all that it said but there was no "DISCLOSURE TRIANGLE"
Is there a way to confirm that I did and this Journaling thingy?

squeeks

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2007
Florida
just go to disk utility and click on your harddrive system partition itll tell you journaled on the bottom by the format type

Habakuk

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2007
Vienna Austria Europe
They have forgotten to tell that you have to UNMOUNT all external hard drives first (before starting from the CD)! I had a HDD mounted via FW800 so the Disk Utility would ONLY show up the external drive and NOT the internal one.

BTW I did a repair to the external HDD too and then (after unmounting and a new start by Installation CD) the internal. The app made a check (some minutes long) and told me at any disk: "Your drive seems to be okay, no repair necessary." (Sorry I don't know the exact words because I have a German-language system.)

PhatBoyG

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2007
Tulsa, OK
My drive Get Info shows something like HFS (Journeled) isn't the enough information or do I need to actually download and run this?

NeXTLoop

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2003
You should only need this update if Journaling isn't already enabled on your machine.

In my case, with every new machine I get, I immediately do an Erase and Custom Install the minute I get it home. So I have had Journaling enabled since Day 1.

But for people who simply got the machine home and started using it, then there's a good chance Journaling isn't enabled.

To check open Disk Utility and click on Macintosh HD. Then look at the bottom and see if it says "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" next to "Format". If it does, then you don't need this update.

euclidjr

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2007
So . . . when I first saw something about this, I went to disk utility and saw that Journaling was not enabled, clicked a box and now it says "journaled." Am I done (i.e., is that the essential functionality of the update) or do I need to go through the update process and included procedures?

NeXTLoop

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2003
So . . . when I first saw something about this, I went to disk utility and saw that Journaling was not enabled, clicked a box and now it says "journaled." Am I done (i.e., is that the essential functionality of the update) or do I need to go through the update process and included procedures?

You still need to follow the steps that are intended for after you've applied the patch. The whole point of Journaling is that it helps to protect the filesystem from damage, especially if you've had had your machine crash or shut off abruptly.

So now that Journaling is enabled, you probably ought to run through those steps to ensure everything is ok, and fix any potential damage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.