Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

darcy567

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 19, 2018
So I recently bought last years MacBook Pro and Ive had nothing but problems. When opening the screen from sleep mode the screen was showing static, which would only last for a split second however my screen started glitching as well. Since this has happened I have reported it to Apple and they said they've not had any complaints regarding this problem however they got me to reset the SMC about 4 times over the phone and said they would log it. If the problem persists I should get an exchange. I got an exchange however the glitching keeps happening with the new one, has anyone had this problem?

Attachments

• IMG_0078.jpeg
    IMG_0078.jpeg
    121.4 KB · Views: 319

Painter2002

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2017
Austin, TX
So I recently bought last years MacBook Pro and Ive had nothing but problems. When opening the screen from sleep mode the screen was showing static, which would only last for a split second however my screen started glitching as well. Since this has happened I have reported it to Apple and they said they've not had any complaints regarding this problem however they got me to reset the SMC about 4 times over the phone and said they would log it. If the problem persists I should get an exchange. I got an exchange however the glitching keeps happening with the new one, has anyone had this problem?
Actually this is an issue that is pretty common and a lot of users have reported the issue.

I started a thread and lots of other users reported the issue. I went through three exchanges on my 2017 MacBook Pro, and all three have the static issue, including the current one that I ended up keeping. The engineering department at Apple said that it appears to be a software issue, and is expecting to have it fixed in a future update.

I have tried the Mojave Beta and the issue seems to be resolved on the version I tried, so I would expect the issue to go away once you are able to upgrade the software from High Sierra to Mojave.

I would not stress about getting an exchange as it is likely that even a replacement will have this software bug. Below is the thread I started where others are reporting this issue.

macbook-pro-2017-monitor-static-after-waking-from-sleep.2113498

AppleHaterLover

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2018
There’s another thread here dedicated to this issue...

Yes, it’s a common issue.

Yes, your heart will skip a beat or two when it happens.

Yes, it’s appalling and unacceptable that no Apple engineer caught this in testing. And even more appalling if they did and decided to launch anyway.

No, there’s nothing you can do about it. No, there’s nothing wrong with your Mac

darcy567

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 19, 2018
Actually this is an issue that is pretty common and a lot of users have reported the issue.

I started a thread and lots of other users reported the issue. I went through three exchanges on my 2017 MacBook Pro, and all three have the static issue, including the current one that I ended up keeping. The engineering department at Apple said that it appears to be a software issue, and is expecting to have it fixed in a future update.

I have tried the Mojave Beta and the issue seems to be resolved on the version I tried, so I would expect the issue to go away once you are able to upgrade the software from High Sierra to Mojave.

I would not stress about getting an exchange as it is likely that even a replacement will have this software bug. Below is the thread I started where others are reporting this issue.

macbook-pro-2017-monitor-static-after-waking-from-sleep.2113498

Thank you! I just think its weird how it isn't happening on the MacBook pros released this year, my sister just got the 2018 version and its fine. Thanks again and I will be sure to take a look at the thread!
[doublepost=1534716619][/doublepost]
There’s another thread here dedicated to this issue...

Yes, it’s a common issue.

Yes, your heart will skip a beat or two when it happens.

Yes, it’s appalling and unacceptable that no Apple engineer caught this in testing. And even more appalling if they did and decided to launch anyway.

No, there’s nothing you can do about it. No, there’s nothing wrong with your Mac

Just going to bug me if it doesn't get fixed

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.