Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fleeps

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2017
My macbook pro 17 inch mid 2010 had been warning me that my battery needed replacing for a while (maybe a year or more). Last weekend it wouldn't start up... no sign of life. I assumed the battery was to the culprit but when I checked, the power supply was plugged in and switched on. It would only boot up when I unplugged the magsafe and pressed the power button for 10 seconds, attached the magsafe and released the power after a further few seconds. It would shut down suddenly without warning a few times before fully booting. On a few occasions it would shut down after booting up. Now it doesn't get beyond the boot screen with the status bar before shutting down and restarting again.

I tried reinstalling the os via recovery, it shut down halfway through. Now it won't boot into recovery. Online recovery produces the error 6002f. Can't boot into aht mode. Tried a blank hdd but the optical drive is non responsive so I can't install an os via that way. I've attached some screen shots of errors before I tried reinstalling os (I think!)

Any help appreciated! Feeling stressed!
20170131_090507(0).jpg
20170130_203449.jpg

[doublepost=1485992713][/doublepost]Actually, I think those screen shots were taken after I attempted reinstalling os

Bending Pixels

macrumors 65816
Jul 22, 2010
If you have the original DVD's that came with the MBP, use the applications DVD to run a hardware check.

rawweb

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2015
If you have the original DVD's that came with the MBP, use the applications DVD to run a hardware check.

OP reported the optical drive wasn't working. OP, do you have access to another Mac (or a friend) that would be willing to create a USB installer for you?
http://www.macworld.com/article/309...-a-bootable-macos-sierra-installer-drive.html

You might have a bum stick of ram, could also try removing or swapping ram to see if it produces better results. Without disk 2, as Bending Pixels recommended, it may be difficult to completely diagnose and it's just a guessing game at that point. I don't believe the 2010's received updated firmware for built in diagnostic off the recovery partition, though you could try holding 'D' at startup to see.

If all fails, your local Apple Store might be willing to run a diagnostic if you schedule an appointment.

Fleeps

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2017
Thanks guys. Yeah, unfortunately holding down 'D' does nothing. We have imacs at work that I can use one to create a usb installer, as well as test with its RAM.

Fleeps

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2017
Really? I find that peculiar since you could actually get power to it and whatnot... Oh well
Yes, it was the last thing I expected.
I can only guess that the psu was suddenly losing power, causing the laptop to shut down mid boot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.