Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steveyraff

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2014
Hi guys. I'm in Ireland but I use a US version MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012), 2.9 Ghz Intel Core i7, 8GB 1600 MHz DDR3, Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB.

I bought it used from someone who barely used it, about 3 or 4 years ago. It has been running like a dream, right up until yesterday.

I don't download much, but I do use it daily for work, using the same few programs. All I really use on it is Chrome, Adobe Lightroom, and occasionally the photoshop style software gIMP. It generally runs impressively fast and fluid. I often have several different desktops open on it, and I usually use it with a secondary external screen - sometimes switching between multiple desktops on both screens. Sometimes I can have dozens of Chrome tabs open. It handles everything extremely well.

Yesterday that all changed, and its really frustrating. I had to use GIMP to design some graphics for work. While using this software, it seemed fine, even though it was doing some stuff that was quite intensive for the CPU and RAM. I have iStats on my toolbar, so I can see whats going on with the system. I had GIMP running, and on another desktop I had Chrome with half a dozen work related tabs open, and I think I may have been listening to a Podcast on Youtube at the same time. All was fine. The only other thing I can think of unusual is that I downloaded a few new text fonts from websites that I am unfamiliar with.

I think it was shortly after closing GIMP, and shutting down a few apps etc that it actually seemed to start playing up. It started beachball frequently and getting "stuck". I never thought much of it at the time, and tried a few things. Firstly, I restarted the Macbook, which I presumed would fix it. Nope, it was just as bad. Then I downloaded EtreCheck Pro after reading some posts on this forum. I ran a full check and it didn't come up with much. It said it thought my hard drive 'may' be in the process of failing. It also found 3 "possible adwares", which I deleted.

It's hard to describe the issue. For example, when I started writing this very post, I clicked the apple icon on the tool bar, and then clicked "About" to double check my system specs. That caused it to beachball. Then I tried copying and pasting my specs. When I hit paste, it beachballed for a good few minutes before it followed through. Sometimes I do basic things in quick succession, like open a new tab, then perhaps hit the file menu, then move the cursor down to the pop up menu along the bottom. Nothing will happen at all for about 5 minutes, the beachball will appear, then all of a sudden it will frantically zip through all the tasks all at once very quickly. Its as if it keeps getting "stuck".

The strange thing is, it behaves to me almost like it would if it was running out of RAM or over using CPU. But I am looking at my iStats graphs as this is happening, and there is hardly any memory usage, and extremely minimal CPU spikes.

Its very frustrating. Sometimes I will get a notification that I've an important work email, and just opening my browser, typing in the address, typing in my email address, clicking on INBOX... this all takes a very long time as it keeps get stuck and beachballing along the way.

I've also tried PRAM reset, and I think I managed SMC reset but I am unsure if I am doing it correctly for this particular model.

Any ideas, or possible fixes?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Is this a NON-retina model with the DVD drive on the right side?

If so...
There's a good possibility that the ribbon cable inside that connects the drive to the motherboard is having problems. This is a COMMON FAILURE on 13" 2012 non-retina MacBook Pros.

Symptoms:
Because "communication" between the drive and the MBP is "interrupted" by the faulty cable, the computer will slow down, act wonky, crash, or perhaps not boot at all. But it's not the drive -- it's just "the cable".

It's not hard to change out.
Go to ifixit.com to see what's involved (ANYone can do this).
You can get the part number at ifixit.
You can buy the ribbon cable from them, or look for it online.

You'll need a Phillips #00 driver (can get one at Home Depot or hardware stores or online) to take the screws out of the back cover.
If you change the drive (read on), you'll also need a TORX T-6 driver to remove the "nubs" from the drive.

If you replace the ribbon cable, and if the drive inside is still the original platter-based HDD, you ought to consider replacing it with an SSD.
It will FEEL LIKE A NEW MACBOOK.
Any SSD will do (Sandisk, Crucial, even an "off-brand").
512gb should do the job.

You can also pick up a cheap external USB3 enclosure for the old HDD.
This way it can "live on" as a backup, etc.

Best way to set it up is to put the SSD into the enclosure FIRST, then set it up and test it while it's still "an external drive". Then, when you know it works, open up the MacBook and "do the swap".

Reactions: steveyraff

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Hi guys. I'm in Ireland but I use a US version MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012), 2.9 Ghz Intel Core i7, 8GB 1600 MHz DDR3, Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB.
I bought it used from someone who barely used it, about 3 or 4 years ago. It has been running like a dream, right up until yesterday.
.... Then I downloaded EtreCheck Pro after reading some posts on this forum. I ran a full check and it didn't come up with much. It said it thought my hard drive 'may' be in the process of failing. It also found 3 "possible adwares", which I deleted.
It's hard to describe the issue. For example, when I started writing this very post, I clicked the apple icon on the tool bar, and then clicked "About" to double check my system specs. That caused it to beachball. ..Nothing will happen at all for about 5 minutes, the beachball will appear, then all of a sudden it will frantically zip through all the tasks all at once very quickly. Its as if it keeps getting "stuck".

The strange thing is, it behaves to me almost like it would if it was running out of RAM or over using CPU. But I am looking at my iStats graphs as this is happening, and there is hardly any memory usage, and extremely minimal CPU spikes.
I've also tried PRAM reset, and I think I managed SMC reset but I am unsure if I am doing it correctly for this particular model.
Any ideas, or possible fixes?
Is this the original, spinning hard drive?
That's likely your issue, and EtreCheck reported that as a suspect.
It was first sold 9 years ago - although it continued to be sold as new until 2016, and is the last MBPro that can have several parts easy to replace. This would be a good time to consider upgrading to an SSD, which would (probably) fix your problem.
But, if it is 9 years old, then you would want to decide if you really want to spend money on that. (I would, but that's just me)

Reactions: steveyraff

steveyraff

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2014
Hi guys,

Before I even came back to your kind replies, I too have since seen all the forum posts about the hard drive cable issue with this model.

I have already ordered a replacement.

I work with electronics so I will try to swap it out myself and see how I get on. I already successfully replaced the entire screen on this one, as the screen ribbon cable was worn and causing issues.

Hopefully this fixes it!

And yes, to answer the question above, it is the non-retina model with the DVD drive.

I'm hoping to make this machine last as long as possible. Before now it has been running very smoothly with zero issues so it is still perfectly fine for what I need it for - that is, if this fixes the problem!

Thanks.

kohlson

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2010
If you replace the ribbon cable, and if the drive inside is still the original platter-based HDD, you ought to consider replacing it with an SSD.
It will FEEL LIKE A NEW MACBOOK.
I agree with this, with a minor note - it will feel/perform better than new. Very easy to replace in these models.

While there is a good chance that the drive cable is the culprit, if original it's also a very old hard drive, especially for a laptop. At approximately 7 years, it's well beyond it's useful service life.

steveyraff

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2014
I agree with this, with a minor note - it will feel/perform better than new. Very easy to replace in these models.

While there is a good chance that the drive cable is the culprit, if original it's also a very old hard drive, especially for a laptop. At approximately 7 years, it's well beyond it's useful service life.

Well, its just that SSD drives are quite expensive, and quite frankley I'd rather have a slower drive with more space. Right up until yesterday I had absolutely zero problems with its performance and speed. I really don't feel I personally need an SSD for the kind of work I've been doing. Obviously, I'd eventually like one - but right now my main concern is not being able to delete a few letters without it beachballing.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
If your hard drive is, in fact, failing - consider replacing that hard drive with the SSD.
I understand about the cost of the SSD (which is not necessarily as expensive as you might think.)
Keep in mind that the hard drive was already handicapped by a slow, 5400 rpm access speed - and now advanced age is likely taking it down. It's not worth your time to make it work better (well, in my opinion, anyway)
If you have the largest at the time, 1TB hard drive, then those can be found for less than $50, 1TB SSDs for around $90 to $150 or so. I purchased a 500GB drive on Amazon for less than $40 (a quick, hot-deal), and just bought a Seagate 500GB, which has impressed me with the speed, for less than $60.
I have had good luck recently with ADATA brand drives. Search for ADATA SSDs on Amazon. You will be surprised.
example: https://smile.amazon.com/ADATA-SU635-3D-NAND-Internal-ASU635SS-960GQ-R/dp/B07PQNHZ7Y

But, regardless, any change, and particularly moving to an SSD, would stop those evil beachballs for good.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"Well, its just that SSD drives are quite expensive, and quite frankley I'd rather have a slower drive with more space. Right up until yesterday I had absolutely zero problems with its performance and speed. I really don't feel I personally need an SSD for the kind of work I've been doing."

I can buy a 128gb SSD for under $20.
I can buy a 250gb SSD for about $40.
I can buy a 500gb SSD for around $65.
What are you waiting for?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.