Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Phusion44

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 12, 2024
I recently pickeded up a used thunderbolt display as the screen on my 2018 MB Pro 15 is starting to have colour issues. It seemed like a more cost effective solution to the expensive screen replacement.
So, I picked up a non Apple connection cable. Its a mini display port with a USB-C 3.1. I plugged in the monitor and connected everything together, but no luck.
Am I using the wrong cable? Do I need a thunderbolt USB connection?
Excuse my ignorance, but I wasn't sure if it needed to indicate that it was a thunderbolt connection.
Any advice and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
Am I using the wrong cable? Do I need a thunderbolt USB connection?
Apple Thunderbolt Display includes an attached Thunderbolt 2 cable. You'll need Apple's Thunderbolt 3 > Thunderbolt 2 adapter.

I have a TBD and use this adapter to connect the display to my 2019 rMBP. You can find these adapters pre-owned for around $25-$35 dollars on eBay.

Reactions: Phusion44

Phusion44

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 12, 2024
Apple Thunderbolt Display includes an attached Thunderbolt 2 cable. You'll need Apple's Thunderbolt 3 > Thunderbolt 2 adapter.

I have a TBD and use this adapter to connect the display to my 2019 rMBP. You can find these adapters pre-owned for around $25-$35 dollars on eBay.
Appreciate it. Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.