Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

csilli

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 23, 2017
Hey everyone
Not total tech rookie here, but by no means an expert. A few days ago my macbook pro mid 2010's started crashing. Suddenly full black screen and constant beeping - I looked it up and it was probably a RAM problem..? Anyways, I couldn't get to a service yet but it started up after a few hours just fine but chrashed again, same black screen and beeping. Now it only starts up and shows the - hopefully - attached message.

What could this problem be?
I haven't altered anything in the hardware, haven't updated to Sierra OS, I'm on the newest El Captain...
Does anyone have any suggestions?
IMG_2995.JPG

goldberg

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2015
Hey everyone
Not total tech rookie here, but by no means an expert. A few days ago my macbook pro mid 2010's started crashing. Suddenly full black screen and constant beeping - I looked it up and it was probably a RAM problem..? Anyways, I couldn't get to a service yet but it started up after a few hours just fine but chrashed again, same black screen and beeping. Now it only starts up and shows the - hopefully - attached message.

What could this problem be?
I haven't altered anything in the hardware, haven't updated to Sierra OS, I'm on the newest El Captain...
Does anyone have any suggestions? View attachment 693212
[doublepost=1490263122][/doublepost]Before this happened, did you have SUIDGuard installed on your Mac ?

I had a similar problem on my mid-2010 MacBook Pro about a year ago.
Removing SUIDGuard using the method below, cured the problem

SUIDGuard problems 2016-03-25 at 20.00.52.png

csilli

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 23, 2017
[doublepost=1490263122][/doublepost]Before this happened, did you have SUIDGuard installed on your Mac ?

I had a similar problem on my mid-2010 MacBook Pro about a year ago.
Removing SUIDGuard using the method below, cured the problem

View attachment 693213

Thanks for the tip, unfortunately it was never installed on my Mac...:/
The booting into safe mode was a torture in itself, I had to restart it twice before it worked.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Did you get it to run reliably in safe mode?
(your reply above does not make that clear)

"3 short beeps" is usually indication of some kind of RAM problem.
You might try opening the back, then GENTLY removing and re-inserting the RAM modules.

Sometimes a slot just "goes bad".
In that case, a "process of elimination" might help.
Take one RAM module out, then try the remaining where it is.
If you get beeps, move it to the other slot, etc.

Reactions: Beachguy

csilli

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 23, 2017
Did you get it to run reliably in safe mode?
(your reply above does not make that clear)

"3 short beeps" is usually indication of some kind of RAM problem.
You might try opening the back, then GENTLY removing and re-inserting the RAM modules.

Sometimes a slot just "goes bad".
In that case, a "process of elimination" might help.
Take one RAM module out, then try the remaining where it is.
If you get beeps, move it to the other slot, etc.

Unfortunately it also crashed in safe mode.
I'll try your RAM moving method, hopefully it'll work.

Now it turns on without problem, not in safe mode, and if I don't do anything just leave it there it won't crash. But soon after I try to browse the internet or get into any program the screen goes black.

mcclorryevan

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2016
Unfortunately it also crashed in safe mode.
I'll try your RAM moving method, hopefully it'll work.

Now it turns on without problem, not in safe mode, and if I don't do anything just leave it there it won't crash. But soon after I try to browse the internet or get into any program the screen goes black.

My guess would be your CPU/GPU has an issue.. those mid 2010 models did have an issue I believe. Sadly, due to the age, you can't get parts from apple anymore.. You could try finding one used that might have a different issue like a bad screen. Just make sure its the SAME model (mid 2010)

csilli

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 23, 2017
My guess would be your CPU/GPU has an issue.. those mid 2010 models did have an issue I believe. Sadly, due to the age, you can't get parts from apple anymore.. You could try finding one used that might have a different issue like a bad screen. Just make sure its the SAME model (mid 2010)

I see...
Well, a few months back i updated to sierra os and that actually caused a serious software problem and i had to re-install the whole system. Maybe the place that helped me diagnose that problem will have an idea about a possible fix.

mcclorryevan

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2016
I see...
Well, a few months back i updated to sierra os and that actually caused a serious software problem and i had to re-install the whole system. Maybe the place that helped me diagnose that problem will have an idea about a possible fix.
If it was software causing the computer to have issues, it would have zero issue booting into safe mode. but see what they say at that shop. Are they are premium service provider for Apple?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.