Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChrisDB

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 29, 2014
Bucharest Romania
So let me start , I've been a Mac fan since 2014 , I've gone throught several MacBook Airs and Pros 2012-2015 and they've been excelent . Now I want to buy a new computer but there are several problems with new devices .

1. The new screen on 2016 and 2017 13 inch and 15 inch have SLOW RESPONSE time and ghosting , you see , is very disturbing as the old ones didn't had these issues , is bad especially on black and grey colours . Check notebookreviews website for more details . Seems like 2018 model is a little better but not as good as the old ones .

2. WEAK iGPU - Intel HD 530 and 630 are a freaking joke , they cannot even drive the interface . Just try and browse some heavy websites and you'll see everything is very slow . Again , the older ones Late 2013 throught Mid 2015 didn't had these issues because Intel Iris Pro was excelent , 64 eDRAM . Was not a graphics powerhouse but at least could drive the interface very smooth .

3. Keyboard - no words , disastrous , I cannot even type a whole sentence on it . Had a 13 inch 2016 touchbar , after a week several keys didn't worked .

4. Bad build quality - the aluminium on new ones seems very very cheap quality , the space grey colour looks like a dirty silver .

5. Overall performance and smoothnes - is feels like a step back . The older devices are so smooth on Mac OSX Mojave is just ridiculous .

I Just picked up a Late 2013 15 inch MacBook Pro with i7 , 16 GB RAM 512 SSD Nvidia 750m 2 GB for 500 dollars, exchanged the battery with 80 dollars and is running like a champ . It beats the crap of all the 13 inch MacBooks pros inch including the latest one 2018 . Also shames the 15 inch with interface performance issues .

Who is seeing these issues also ?

Sorry for the long post and bad grammar .
Cheers from Romania .

Last edited:

1096bimu

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2017
So let me start , I've been a Mac fan since 2014 , I've gone throught several MacBook Airs and Pros 2012-2015 and they've been excelent . Now I want to buy a new computer but there are several problems with new devices .

1. The new screen on 2016 and 2017 13 inch and 15 inch have SLOW RESPONSE time and ghosting , you see , is very disturbing as the old ones didn't had these issues , is bad especially on black and grey colours . Check notebookreviews website for more details . Seems like 2018 model is a little better but not as good as the old ones .

2. WEAK iGPU - Intel HD 530 and 630 are a freaking joke , they cannot even drive the interface . Just try and browse some heavy websites and you'll see everything is very slow . Again , the older ones Late 2013 throught Mid 2015 didn't had these issues because Intel Iris Pro was excelent , 64 eDRAM . Was not a graphics powerhouse but at least could drive the interface very smooth .

3. Keyboard - no words , disastrous , I cannot even type a whole sentence on it . Had a 13 inch 2016 touchbar , after a week several keys didn't worked .

4. Bad build quality - the aluminium on new ones seems very very cheap quality , the space grey colour looks like a dirty silver .

5. Overall performance and smoothnes - is feels like a step back . The older devices are so smooth on Mac OSX Mojave is just ridiculous .

I Just picked up a Late 2013 15 inch MacBook Pro with i7 , 16 GB RAM 512 SSD Nvidia 750m 2 GB for 500 dollars, exchanged the battery with 80 dollars and is running like a champ . It beats the crap of all the 13 inch MacBooks pros inch including the latest one 2018 , as I'm buying and reselling MacBooks and have them all the time . Also shames the 15 inch with interface performance issues .

Cheers from Romania .
1. That's IPS for you, so apparently it only bothers you because you can see the response time on a website and not because you can see it with your eyes.
2. Don't know what you're talking about, the 16,17,18 versions have iris pro
3. Nope, works perfectly for me.
4. Nope, just flat out wrong.
5. No it doesn't, the 2018 version is by far the fastest.

ChrisDB

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 29, 2014
Bucharest Romania
1. That's IPS for you, so apparently it only bothers you because you can see the response time on a website and not because you can see it with your eyes.
2. Don't know what you're talking about, the 16,17,18 versions have iris pro
3. Nope, works perfectly for me.
4. Nope, just flat out wrong.
5. No it doesn't, the 2018 version is by far the fastest.

From question 1 you straight up lied . Macbook Pro 15 inch have intel hd 530 , and 630 not iris pro . check out the facts before writing : https://support.apple.com/kb/SP776?locale=en_GB
This integrated card cannot drive the UI performance on battery , only when plugged in .

I'm just saying some true facts here guys , dont need to hate . Why do you think so many people here post that just bought 2015 and older macs ?

1096bimu

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2017
From question 1 you straight up lied . Macbook Pro 15 inch have intel hd 530 , and 630 not iris pro . check out the facts before writing : https://support.apple.com/kb/SP776?locale=en_GB
This integrated card cannot drive the UI performance on battery , only when plugged in .

I'm just saying some true facts here guys , dont need to hate . Why do you think so many people here post that just bought 2015 and older macs ?
I'm talking about the 13inch, who's gonna buy a 15in and not get the discrete graphics? if you did then clearly you don't care about graphics performance. You're shooting yourself in the foot.

Reactions: chrono1081

Painter2002

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2017
Austin, TX

I Just picked up a Late 2013 15 inch MacBook Pro with i7 , 16 GB RAM 512 SSD Nvidia 750m 2 GB for 500 dollars, exchanged the battery with 80 dollars and is running like a champ . It beats the crap of all the 13 inch MacBooks pros inch including the latest one 2018 , as I'm buying and reselling MacBooks and have them all the time . Also shames the 15 inch with interface performance issues .

Cheers from Romania .
To be honest, a lot of the “issues” you mentioned sound more like pet peeves than true issues. Refresh rates and the iGPU in these models are known variables on the more baseline versions of MacBook Pros 2016 and on. Keyboard is also something that is a hate or love thing for most. The color is an easy one, if you don’t like the space grey, just get the silver, the aluminum is the same build and quality as in previous generation models IMO.

Not to come across wrong, but it sounds like you just really dislike the MacBook Pros of late. I don’t think the 2013 model you have is going to fix any of the issues you mention, so my suggestion would be to try finding a different brand that has the refresh rates and GPU support that you want. Why stick with a product line if it doesn’t provide you with the things you desire?

Reactions: DeanPSN

Khaleal

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2013
I’m not sure about the display response time but for the iGPU I completely agree. I can definitely see that my 15" 2016 (while having a better CPU) isn’t as smooth as my 15" 2014 UI wise especially on the new "default” resolution, to minimize the issue I lowered the resolution to match the default resolution of the 2014 one

ChrisDB

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 29, 2014
Bucharest Romania
I’m not sure about the display response time but for the iGPU I completely agree. I can definitely see that my 15" 2016 (while having a better CPU) isn’t as smooth as my 15" 2014 UI wise especially on the new "default” resolution, to minimize the issue I lowered the resolution to match the default resolution of the 2014 one

Yess , I don,t understand why Apple even did this , cause in the 13 inch they have the iris plus

AppleHaterLover

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2018
This thread is a complete joke.

Same old keyboard nonsense. I'll disregard that, not worth my time.

One of the better parts of this circus is the HD 630 not being able to handle the UI. And websites. Give me a break.

The best part is "low quality aluminum".

Romania should be leading the OECD with such high GPU and aerospace-grade aluminum standards.

DeanPSN

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2018
Dublin, Ireland
This thread is a complete joke.

Same old keyboard nonsense. I'll disregard that, not worth my time.

One of the better parts of this circus is the HD 630 not being able to handle the UI. And websites. Give me a break.

The best part is "low quality aluminum".

Romania should be leading the OECD with such high GPU and aerospace-grade aluminum standards.

Well said!
This thread utter nonsense and should be closed.

Reactions: MacMan988

d0nK

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2011
UK
Agree. The new keyboards are terrible. I'm going to upgrade to a 2015 mbp (good keyboard) and wait until Apple redesign the keyboard to not be unreliable garbage.

neeeeeek

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2021

I Just picked up a Late 2013 15 inch MacBook Pro with i7 , 16 GB RAM 512 SSD Nvidia 750m 2 GB for 500 dollars, exchanged the battery with 80 dollars and is running like a champ . It beats the crap of all the 13 inch MacBooks pros inch including the latest one 2018 . Also shames the 15 inch with interface performance issues .

Cheers from Romania .
I strongly agree with this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.