Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OlleBladin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 23, 2016
Hello, I have an issue with my Macbook Pro from 2015 and I wonder if anybody has heard of something like it before.

At periods, my screen and keyboard shuts down and the way to resolve this problem is to tilt the laptop in another angle. The trackpad also turns off so I assume that the computer goes into some kind of sleep mode. I've been to the geniuses two times and they've replaced my screen and my top case. The problem is not gone though, it comes in periods as mentioned and it drives me crazy as I have to keep repositioning my macbook all the time while working.
I have recorded videos of this strange problem if somebody is interested in seeing.

Have you any thoughts, please let me know!

Kate.

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2009
US
Do you have anything with a magnet around it? Not sure if it's relevant in your case but I had a device that kept going mysteriously black and I eventually realized my laptop magnet was putting it into sleep mode.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
That was my first thought.
There have been a couple of threads here, about laptops used on top of some kind of case with a magnetic cover.
Moving the laptop may be triggering sleep.

Is there anything magnetic within a few inches of your MacBook Pro, particularly something that you would NOT have left at the repair shop when your top case was replaced?
Where do you typically use your laptop? Is there anything underneath, other than a hard surface desk?

jwksmith

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2008
Calgary
I have the same issue with a 2011 MBP 15 if I move it suddenly. I generally use it on my lap. I expect it is some form of protection built into the OS. Ii has been around for the last 3 or 4 versions of the OS, maybe even since Leopard.

It may be triggered by some overly sensitive motion sensor - I don't know.

OlleBladin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 23, 2016
Turns out my sleeve has a magnet that puts the macbook into sleep mode if held close to the fn-button. Holding a magnet close to the fn-button totally reproduces the problem.
Thank you for helping me out, your comments have been really helpfull, this has been driving me crazy!

Reactions: Toutou and Kate.

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
Turns out my sleeve has a magnet that puts the macbook into sleep mode if held close to the fn-button. Holding a magnet close to the fn-button totally reproduces the problem.
Thank you for helping me out, your comments have been really helpfull, this has been driving me crazy!
I was going to say you likely have a magnet on your be it clothing or watch or whatever causing the computer to sleep. I see you've already figured that out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.