Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eugenioroar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 4, 2016
Hey there everyone,

I guess everyone on this forum has thought on upgrading it's Macbook Pro from whatever the amount of Ram it had to 16gb of Ram.

Well, last time I tried installing the 16gb everything went well... I checked if the computer was recognizing the ram and everything, which it was. Though the problem was, the minute I started using it, it started rebooting and giving me errors, pretty much 2 o 3 times a day. Went to mac online, they said that Mac says that this notebooks dont support that amount of Ram, wich in fact it is a false statement.
Came back home, T re installed the 4gb (2x2) and everything worked just fine.

Any thoughts on this? My mac is this one and it says it supports the 16gb

http://www.everymac.com/systems/app...re-i5-2.5-13-mid-2012-unibody-usb3-specs.html

Thanks!

Attachments

• Captura de pantalla 2016-03-04 a las 15.29.45.png
    Captura de pantalla 2016-03-04 a las 15.29.45.png
    66.2 KB · Views: 209

treekram

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2015
Honolulu HI
I have the same model - mid-2012 MBP, 2.5Ghz. I have 16GB RAM and it works fine.

1) Check the RAM seating. The RAM is stacked directly one above the other so it's more difficult to work with than other computers where one bank is offset from the other. Even though the old RAM works, the new RAM may fit slightly differently.

2) Make sure the RAM specifications are correct. If you're unsure, post the brand, model and specs of the memory you put it.

3) To make sure it's the RAM that's the problem, run the Apple Hardware Test and see what it says. If the non-extended test works, try the extended test (will take some time - 2 hours maybe?).

eugenioroar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 4, 2016
I have the same model - mid-2012 MBP, 2.5Ghz. I have 16GB RAM and it works fine.

1) Check the RAM seating. The RAM is stacked directly one above the other so it's more difficult to work with than other computers where one bank is offset from the other. Even though the old RAM works, the new RAM may fit slightly differently.

2) Make sure the RAM specifications are correct. If you're unsure, post the brand, model and specs of the memory you put it.

3) To make sure it's the RAM that's the problem, run the Apple Hardware Test and see what it says. If the non-extended test works, try the extended test (will take some time - 2 hours maybe?).

Thanks, ill check it out then. The the RAM memory is this one

PNY SODIM DDR3 2x8GB DDR3 1600MHz
[doublepost=1457125715][/doublepost]I installed them again and right away I got a reboot with the black words on the start screen, rebooted a couple of times, tried the AHT out and it got frozen while it was at it so, dunno really what could be the problem, could it be the RAM?

treekram

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2015
Honolulu HI
If you can't even get to the AHT with the new memory but everything works with the old memory, then it probably is the memory.

The memory you listed should work if the specifications for that memory is typical. That is, unless a particular spec is very different from what is typically sold, it should be OK. If there's a specific model number for the memory, you can post it here or you can search to see if people report problems.

You can try putting in a single memory stick, one at a time, to see if it works. According to the Internet, you can do that but you do that at your own risk.

Jozone

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2007
Any chance you would be able to return that RAM? These machines can be a bit finicky on the RAM latencies, so I would recommend going for a brand (like Crucial) that has been confirmed many times over to work perfectly.

eugenioroar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 4, 2016
Any chance you would be able to return that RAM? These machines can be a bit finicky on the RAM latencies, so I would recommend going for a brand (like Crucial) that has been confirmed many times over to work perfectly.

Makes sense, I must be one of the most unlucky mofos in the world then haha Dunno if I can change it, bought it some time ago, should have a year guarantee but, dunno if i need the purchase bill or whatever, ill check it out!

Thank you all!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.