Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lmorrison101

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2016
Hi,

My MacBook Pro has been acting up in recent weeks, all beginning with these horizontal lines that appear on the desktop and in application windows (and can be moved around with the window). Then my MacBook Pro started hanging on even the most simple of tasks (opening applications, watching videos, etc). I've done a lot to try and resolve these issues, but they continue.

Here's what i've done:
  • PRAM reset
  • Reseat the RAM/ Hard Drive
  • Replace the hard drive
  • Reinstall Mac OS X (10.7.5 and 10.6.8 with same issues)
  • ensured proper ventilation (on cooled laptop stand)
  • Had full hardware diagnostics run on it at Apple Store (Everything passed!)
The MacBook Pro gets hotter than an oven in a short amount of time, but the fans ramp up and keep everything relatively stable. Even when the laptop is barely started, it can freeze and require me to manually shut down. Sometimes it will hang and reboot on its own. I can't trust my Mac anymore in fear that my data is at risk.

Please help!

MacBook Pro specs: Late 2006 (A1212) 17" MacBook Pro
  • 2GB 667MHz DDR2 Memory
  • 120GB Hitachi 5400rpm Hard Drive
  • Mac OS X 10.7.5 "Lion"
  • Intel Core 2 Duo 2.33GHz
  • ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 Graphics (256MB memory)

Keep in mind that all hardware and software passed testing at the Apple Store, so what should I do?

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Hi,

My MacBook Pro has been acting up in recent weeks, all beginning with these horizontal lines that appear on the desktop and in application windows (and can be moved around with the window). Then my MacBook Pro started hanging on even the most simple of tasks (opening applications, watching videos, etc). I've done a lot to try and resolve these issues, but they continue.

Here's what i've done:
  • PRAM reset
  • Reseat the RAM/ Hard Drive
  • Replace the hard drive
  • Reinstall Mac OS X (10.7.5 and 10.6.8 with same issues)
  • ensured proper ventilation (on cooled laptop stand)
  • Had full hardware diagnostics run on it at Apple Store (Everything passed!)
The MacBook Pro gets hotter than an oven in a short amount of time, but the fans ramp up and keep everything relatively stable. Even when the laptop is barely started, it can freeze and require me to manually shut down. Sometimes it will hang and reboot on its own. I can't trust my Mac anymore in fear that my data is at risk.

Please help!

MacBook Pro specs: Late 2006 (A1212) 17" MacBook Pro
  • 2GB 667MHz DDR2 Memory
  • 120GB Hitachi 5400rpm Hard Drive
  • Mac OS X 10.7.5 "Lion"
  • Intel Core 2 Duo 2.33GHz
  • ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 Graphics (256MB memory)

Keep in mind that all hardware and software passed testing at the Apple Store, so what should I do?

Nothing it's ten years old that's amazing for a laptop at least double what you can reasonably expect from any laptop, fixing it is not economically sensible, and technologically it's way out of date doesn't support the latest OSes.

Use an external drive and back up your data, you should be doing that regularly anyway, then buy a new computer.

lmorrison101

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2016
Nothing it's ten years old that's amazing for a laptop at least double what you can reasonably expect from any laptop, fixing it is not economically sensible, and technologically it's way out of date doesn't support the latest OSes.

Use an external drive and back up your data, you should be doing that regularly anyway, then buy a new computer.
Appreciate the reply! I guess it's a problem with this model? I still have my iBook G3 that i've been using daily with no problems to date...

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
My MacBook Pro has been acting up in recent weeks, all beginning with these horizontal lines that appear on the desktop
Sounds like the GPU is failing and given that its a 10 year old mac, I think its time this old girl is put down and you buy a newer model.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.