Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jtcameron

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 30, 2019
Cheltenham
Hello all!

I've been quite spontaneous and now own two Macbook Pros. However... I need to decide which to keep and was hoping you could help me!

My existing Macbook Pro is the 13" M1 2020 512GB 8GB Ram - Good condition, albeit a small dink on the lid where a glass fell on it (slightly noticeable). No other issues with its performance at all.

The other Macbook Pro I have just taken on is the 15" 2.6 i7 2018 512GB 16GB Ram, perfect condition. My colleague sold it me for £450 which I thought was too good to say no to, although, I didn't actually need it! The battery doesn't seem to be as good but I knew that would be the case.

I am a secondary school music teacher so primarily use programs such as Sibelius, Logic Pro, PowerPoint, Outlook and Teams. I love my M1, just annoyed with the dink and I'm not sure if I can get it out. I really like the size of the 2018 15" as it is great whilst notating music and making PowerPoints, although I also have a new M1 iMac that I use for this too.

So, which one do I get rid of? Part of me thinks that I should keep the M1 as I prefer the space grey colour, it is easier to put in my bag, the keyboard is better and I know performance wise it is better. Or do I sell the M1 as it has the dink on it and it should still be of value? Then wait a year or two to see what Apple brings out next? Orrrr do I sell both and get the 14" M1 Pro? The touch bar would not be missed!

My mind is a mess and need some guidance! Any advice is appreciated :)

Many thanks,
James

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
Just based on what you say, 2020 M1 is all you need. If you really want a larger screen, which you seem conflicted about, sell both and get a 16" base, 2020 refurb if money is a big consideration, or M1 if not.

jtcameron

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 30, 2019
Cheltenham
Thank you @Sanpete and @TechRunner! I'm very tempted to do what you've both suggested, sell them both to get a new one. Money is a bit tight, but if I finance it, then I can get a new M1 14" or 16".

Do you think there is much point though in swapping the Macbook Pro 2020 13" for the 2021 14"? :)

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
Not a lot of point in most ways, but you'd get the nicer, slighter larger screen (with HDR) and somewhat better speakers. Don't know if you'd notice the increase in processing power much, unless you're noticing some slowness with your 13".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.