Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kaylalexis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2018
Hey everyone.

So long story short, my two month old MacBook Pro with Touch Bar suffered some liquid damage last week and I’ve been in hell trying to figure out what to do ever since. I am a week to late to get AppleCare+ (that would cover accidental damage).

I sent it to Apple for a repair and they’ve given me a repair cost of $1475+tax, which will come out to around $1600 total. Now I already paid $2100 for the brand new computer TWO months ago so this was a hard pill to swallow.

Anyway, the way I see it is I have a few options here and need some advice on what I should do.

1. Just bite the bullet, pay the repair cost, and hopefully get my computer back as good as new.

2. Buy a brand new computer from B&H for about $2000 (only $400 more than repair costs) and opt for AppleCare+ which will help me avoid this situation in the future.

I just hate to give up on this computer as it’s literally only two months old.

A few of my other concerns are that with such a big repair, the computer will never run the same and I’ll have trouble with it for the rest of the time I have it. They say that the bottom casing, battery, and MLB all need to be repaired and that’s before they’ve even turned on the computer to find if the screen or touch bar got damage as well. My standard 1 year AppleCare plan will still be in effect bough so I assume if I have other issues with the replacement parts I can get them taken care of for free.

Advice?

Thanks!

eRondeau

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2004
Canada's South Coast
If you bought the damaged computer on your Visa/Mastercard check to see if they have purchase protection included. My Mastercard does. In my case that damage would have been covered for the first year and they would've given me a new identical computer. I've never had to take advantage of this protection (luckily) but it's the reason I put most of my big-ticket purchases on my Mastercard.

Reactions: canuckRus

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
Sell it for parts on eBay and apply those dollars toward buying a new one from B&H. You can also try to sell it as is on eBay and take the highest offer. I would not repair it.

Reactions: No. 44

Maxx Power

Cancelled
Apr 29, 2003
Take it immediately to an independent repair shop. There is a big chance that your bill is a small fraction of what Apple would charge you. I have myself repaired some water-damaged Macbook Pros and it didn't involve anything more than a thorough cleaning, trackpad replacement and touching up a few soldering points.

Depending on the nature of the liquid (whether it is acidic or contains sugar), the longer you wait, the worse the corrosion. Act fast, whatever you do.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
That's "the cost" of being careless around liquids.
Time for something new.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
You could take to a 3rd part shop, but they will have to do a bit of work to ensure they get all of the liquid under surface mount components. But no matter what you do you have no more warranty.

My 2 cents is to forget about this system and get another one. Sell the old one for parts.

canuckRus

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2014
Hey everyone.

So long story short, my two month old MacBook Pro with Touch Bar suffered some liquid damage last week and I’ve been in hell trying to figure out what to do ever since. I am a week to late to get AppleCare+ (that would cover accidental damage).

I sent it to Apple for a repair and they’ve given me a repair cost of $1475+tax, which will come out to around $1600 total. Now I already paid $2100 for the brand new computer TWO months ago so this was a hard pill to swallow.

Check your CC for 90 day buyer protection if used.

Kaylalexis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2018
That's "the cost" of being careless around liquids.
Time for something new.
yes appreciate ur contribution
[doublepost=1519772017][/doublepost]Thanks everyone!!

I understand the liquid damage was “careless” but I appreciate all of y’all who have given me solid advice.

Think I’m gonna sell it for parts and get a new machine.

Thanks so much!

Reactions: jerryk

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016

I understand the liquid damage was “careless” but I appreciate all of y’all who have given me solid advice.

Thanks so much!

That's probably what I'd do too.. Man that stinks but a hard lesson learned. When my 2017 came from Adorama one of the 1st things I did after setup was long into my Apple account and buy Apple Care +...

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area

Thanks so much!

Don't forget the AppleCare +!

James.K.Polk

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2015
Hey! I went through the same thing - check your credit card warranty! Chase covered mine in full (was $1610 after tax? Or something).

Edit: The company it goes through is called "Card Benefit Services."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.