Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kjmlynar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 29, 2016
Michigan
Hi everyone! I am at the point with my MacBook where it will not boot, no matter what I try.

Early 2011 MacBook Pro.

Background:

One year ago, I spilled liquid in the keyboard. It acted weird at first, and then went back to normal, although the left shift no longer works.

I have always had issues with this Mac getting very hot--hot enough to burn my legs.

Two weeks ago, I was watching a video. The screen went black and the sound kept skipping. I had to power it down, and then it turned back on no problem.

This week, two days ago, it happened again while watching a live stream of a hockey game. I turned it off, and now it will not turn on.

Here is what happens:

1. I turn it on, hear the chime.
2. My little login photo of my face shows up, I enter my password.
3. A loading bar pops up.
4. It loads 1/3 of the way, then freezes, at the same spot every single time.

I have tried booting while holding down command R, Option PR, command option PR, D, command shift...everything I have found to do online, I have tried, and nothing works. It just can't get past that loading bar.

I was able to pull the hard drive out today and back up what I needed to my work desktop Mac. I then put the hard drive back in, and tried booting it ten different ways again, but stil no luck.

Is it toast? I have read that this could be the logic board or graphics card.

I appreciate any info in advance. I am going to the Genius Bar tomorrow, but they will probably just tell me I need a new logic board. If so, should I do that, or replace the unit?

Kjmlynar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 29, 2016
Michigan

I saw that, but I don't have scrambled video--it just freezes and turns black half way through videos. It doesn't turn off randomly either, I just am forced to reboot it. I will definitely bring it up though. Honestly, I don't know much about these computers.

EDIT: By freezes, I meant froze. Can't get it on to test again!

iMacDragon

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2008
UK
The previous liquid spill will quite likely mean apple won't cover it under the programme, though, unfortunately.

Reactions: old-wiz

dealmaker

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2010
Yes - definitely sounds like a GPU issue - they don't all fail in the same way - and my 17" machine exhibited the exact same symptoms you described when it failed for the first time.

Take it to the Apple store - and tell them whats happening - they will do a diagnostic test and it fails the video test (and it sounds like it might) they should install a logic Board for you free of charge.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
You can choose not to volunteer any information about a previous liquid spill. :D
However, expect that liquid damage will be visible as staining inside the case...
If the tech or "genius" somehow misses that damage (might happen!), then you have to hope for a failure in the store diagnostic test. THAT will decide if you get a free repair, or not. Your MBPro has to fail that test.

tubeexperience

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2016
The previous liquid spill will quite likely mean apple won't cover it under the programme, though, unfortunately.

You can choose not to volunteer any information about a previous liquid spill. :D
However, expect that liquid damage will be visible as staining inside the case...
If the tech or "genius" somehow misses that damage (might happen!), then you have to hope for a failure in the store diagnostic test. THAT will decide if you get a free repair, or not. Your MBPro has to fail that test.

Apple doesn't care so as long as it fails the Video System Test (VST).

Kjmlynar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 29, 2016
Michigan
Yes - definitely sounds like a GPU issue - they don't all fail in the same way - and my 17" machine exhibited the exact same symptoms you described when it failed for the first time.

Take it to the Apple store - and tell them whats happening - they will do a diagnostic test and it fails the video test (and it sounds like it might) they should install a logic Board for you free of charge.

They are sending it in for a new logic board for free! It did fail the test. Thank you for your reply!!
[doublepost=1462043918][/doublepost]
Hi everyone! I am at the point with my MacBook where it will not boot, no matter what I try.

Early 2011 MacBook Pro.

Background:

One year ago, I spilled liquid in the keyboard. It acted weird at first, and then went back to normal, although the left shift no longer works.

I have always had issues with this Mac getting very hot--hot enough to burn my legs.

Two weeks ago, I was watching a video. The screen went black and the sound kept skipping. I had to power it down, and then it turned back on no problem.

This week, two days ago, it happened again while watching a live stream of a hockey game. I turned it off, and now it will not turn on.

Here is what happens:

1. I turn it on, hear the chime.
2. My little login photo of my face shows up, I enter my password.
3. A loading bar pops up.
4. It loads 1/3 of the way, then freezes, at the same spot every single time.

I have tried booting while holding down command R, Option PR, command option PR, D, command shift...everything I have found to do online, I have tried, and nothing works. It just can't get past that loading bar.

I was able to pull the hard drive out today and back up what I needed to my work desktop Mac. I then put the hard drive back in, and tried booting it ten different ways again, but stil no luck.

Is it toast? I have read that this could be the logic board or graphics card.

I appreciate any info in advance. I am going to the Genius Bar tomorrow, but they will probably just tell me I need a new logic board. If so, should I do that, or replace the unit?

EDIT// they are replacing the logic board for free as it did fail the video test. Thank you everyone!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.