Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xperton3

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 28, 2004
Ok i have a first generation macbook pro, its a 2ghz core duo. Is this laptop only b/g or possibly N as well with some sort of software hack?

Second Question:
I also have a white macbook 1.83ghz Core Duo which has boot camp installed on it and when its in windows XP i noticed that it connects at 108mbs speed....does that mean this one has a N card in it?
And is there a software package that will examine the abilities of the built in wireless card for the mac/pc?

Thanks

Veritas&Equitas

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Twin Cities, MN
1. No, unless you install an N card yourself, the first-rev CD models don't have it.

2. I think the only way you can be connected at that speed is if you are hardwired via the Gigabit ethernet. If you have a Core Duo Macbook, then no, it's not N wireless either.

Veritas&Equitas

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Twin Cities, MN

Transeau

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2005
Alta Loma, CA
why would the macbook connect at 108 wireless???

The Atheros chipset included in the 1st gen macbook/pro is capable of 108MBps when connected to a router (mostly dlink) with an Atheros chipset that supports the 108MBps "Turbo G" and "Turbo A" protocols. The "Turbo" modes allow the radios to use double the bandwidth over the standard G and A.

TheStu

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2006
Carlisle, PA
The Atheros chipset included in the 1st gen macbook/pro is capable of 108MBps when connected to a router (mostly dlink) with an Atheros chipset that supports the 108MBps "Turbo G" and "Turbo A" protocols. The "Turbo" modes allow the radios to use double the bandwidth over the standard G and A.

My Netgear RangeMax MIMO SuperG router (wow, that's a lot of buzzwords!) connects to my Core Duo MacBook at 108Mb/s, which I was very pleasantly surprised at. I also recently found out that the hard drive in my MacBook is a 16MB cache... which is, I have gathered so could be wrong, unheard of in laptop drives.

All in all, pretty nice components for a 'consumer' level notebook

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.