Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

christiann

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 7, 2020
North America
HELP-I tried all the solutions I could find online, and it has a battery, I replaced it with an apple one. Been trying for a few hours to get it running-MagSafe comes up as orange. It’s the first MacBook Pro. Images below!
image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
If you press the test button on the battery, does that show any charge on the battery?
If you don't get any lights when you press the test button, try an SMC reset, then let the battery sit connected to the charger for 30 minutes or more, then try power again.
Does your MBPro start up if you remove the battery, and try with only the magsafe attached?

try resetting the power manager (SMC reset)
  1. If the computer is on, turn it off.
  2. Disconnect the power adapter and remove the main battery.
  3. Hold the power button down for five seconds, then release.
  4. Install the main battery and connect the power adapter.
  5. Press the power button to restart the computer.

christiann

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 7, 2020
North America
If you press the test button on the battery, does that show any charge on the battery?
If you don't get any lights when you press the test button, try an SMC reset, then let the battery sit connected to the charger for 30 minutes or more, then try power again.
Does your MBPro start up if you remove the battery, and try with only the magsafe attached?

I’ll try right now!

christiann

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 7, 2020
North America

After troubleshooting since 5 PM, I hear whirring and everything and i see the white sleep light, and only stays on for as long as you hold the power button until 5 seconds when everything just shuts down. happens every time. Thoughts?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"It’s the first MacBook Pro."

What year was it made?
Is the battery original, or was it ever changed?
They don't last forever, you know... ;)

christiann

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 7, 2020
North America
"It’s the first MacBook Pro."

What year was it made?
Is the battery original, or was it ever changed?
They don't last forever, you know... ;)

I just got it :( ,but yeah, it’s an original Apple battery that says “MacBook Pro 15 inch Rechargeable Battery”. Early 2008.

christiann

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 7, 2020
North America
You sure the display works?

Can’t tell. It doesn’t fully turn on, I hear the drive, fans, and it shuts off automatically at five seconds. i can’t see anything with the display.

The reason I wanted this Mac was because of the DVI just in case I had issues because I have extra monitors.

It will shut off automatically in five seconds or it stays on as long as you’ll hold the power button.

Sometimes the power button doesn’t work.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
"Shuts off automatically after 5 seconds"
Your Mac tests your hard drive during startup, as part of the power-on-self-test (POST). If the hard drive does not pass, your Mac will try again. If no pass after 3 tests, your Mac will shut off.
If you can boot to single-user mode (boot while holding Command-S), you will see text scrolling down. You will see the command to type in the last couple of lines, so type: /sbin/fsck -fy
Press enter, and you should see a few lines for testing, and should end in a "test completed", or "Passed test", or something similar. If you get a line with errors, or telling you that there is a problem with the drive, then.... the drive is likely no good.

christiann

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 7, 2020
North America
Can’t even do Cmd-S. Same shut down problem
[automerge]1593194041[/automerge]
Very frustrating. Any other suggestions? I can hear it.. Is there a magnet in the MacBooks where it needs to stay there or else it will sleep or is that in older Apple computers?

Last edited:

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Open the case. Disconnect the ribbon cable on the hard drive.
Start up. If the hard drive is the problem, it should go to a "flashing folder" icon, meaning that your MBPro can't find a system to boot. It can't boot, but if the power stays on, then you know the problem is usually a failed hard drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.