Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrockbuddy

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 23, 2008
I just purchased my first mac from apple's online store & feel like a kid waiting for Christmas morning to come. But I bought the cables and everything to hook it up to my old school big screen TV. I just wondering if anyone's had any luck doing this w/ older projection TVs

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
As long as it has RCA, DVI, or VGA it should work fine. I've used my PowerBook several times on projectors at work and school and have had no problem. I've also used it on my aunts older projection TV and her newer projection HDTV. On the older projection screens they used to warn about burn-in with Nintendo games (because some have stationary backgrounds, or don't move when on pause), if you are worried about that, then I'd suggest NOT using it in clamshell mode (as that would put the stationary menu-bar on the screen) and set the background to change often.

TEG

macrockbuddy

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 23, 2008
Text?

I've heard that text is going to look blurry and basically unreadable. So would it be futile to try and get on the web while its hooked up to the tv? Thanks yall

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
San Francisco California, USA
Not sure if you are referring to...

I've heard that text is going to look blurry and basically unreadable. So would it be futile to try and get on the web while its hooked up to the tv? Thanks yall

projection TV or a 40" LCD Sony Bravia or a 26" LCD Sony Bravia, which is what I have. I've utilized my MacBook on several occasions and found the internet to be awesome. I've also hooked up to the old school projectors at school, while on the internet and it was fine. It didn't matter whether it was 20' from the screen or 5' from the screen, it was an awesome view and not at all blurry. :cool:

macrockbuddy

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 23, 2008
Resolution

thanks for the quick reply. Do I need to fuss w/ the resolution of the screen on the MacBook or anything of the like. Once I get it I'm sure I can figure it out. Just trying to get ahead of it all. Thanks again

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
San Francisco California, USA
Nope, no adjustments...

thanks for the quick reply. Do I need to fuss w/ the resolution of the screen on the MacBook or anything of the like. Once I get it I'm sure I can figure it out. Just trying to get ahead of it all. Thanks again

the MacBook will automatically adjust to the projector. No need to fiddle with the screen size, the MacBook will choose the best screen for each TV or projector. :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.