Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Camdeck

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2018
I have a MacBook Pro Model A1278 late 2012 I believe. I ordered suggested ram I saw from a YouTube video and tried to install it as the video said. Disconnect battery, remove old ram and insert new.
I did this and now it won’t even respond, even if I put the old ones back in. I can send pictures of what I ordered since I am not an expert in this kind of thing. I am terrified that I broke it. Any suggestions?
I tried to reinstall the old ones to no avail.

Camdeck

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2018
You have a link to the ram you installed?

There is no late 2012 a1278 from what I can find. Is it a mid-2012 13"?

Yes you are right. Sorry about that. Mid 2012, 13”.
https://www.google.com/search?q=Cor..._AUIEigC&biw=414&bih=660#imgrc=lzp6CcgghcSh1M:
Here is the link to the one I found.
I was trying to surprise my wife by upgrading her computer because she hated it being slow. Bleh
Thank you for responding so quickly
[doublepost=1536725182][/doublepost]
Yes you are right. Sorry about that. Mid 2012, 13”.
https://www.google.com/search?q=Cor..._AUIEigC&biw=414&bih=660#imgrc=lzp6CcgghcSh1M:
Here is the link to the one I found.
I was trying to surprise my wife by upgrading her computer because she hated it being slow. Bleh
Thank you for responding so quickly

I didn’t check to see if the battery was charged before hand if that makes a difference. The charger light does not illuminate and zero response from the buttons. This is the first time doing anything like this. Seemed achievable from the videos.

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Which os is on the Macbook?

That ram should work.

Try this: disconnect the battery, put back the old ram, connect the charger but don't touch any keys. Hopefully, the Macbook will power up on its own. If it does power up, it will be slow because the battery is disconnected.

Camdeck

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2018
Which os is on the Macbook?

That ram should work.

Try this: disconnect the battery, put back the old ram, connect the charger but don't touch any keys. Hopefully, the Macbook will power up on its own. If it does power up, it will be slow because the battery is disconnected.
I think I had just upgraded it to high sierra. I will give that a try right now. Thanks!

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I was thinking that maybe the MacBook was on a very old bootrom which may have been part of the problem but, with high Sierra, the MacBook would be running the latest bootrom.

Camdeck

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2018
Hmm nothing so far. Is it an immediate thing or does it take time once the charger is plugged in?
[doublepost=1536725858][/doublepost]I wonder if I was sent the correct one. The packaging says compatible up to late-2011.

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
It takes up to 60 seconds for the unit to power on.

Does the charger led light up when connected to the Macbook?

The mid-2012 can work with basically any ddr3L 1600 ram.

Camdeck

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2018
It takes up to 60 seconds for the unit to power on.

Does the charger led light up when connected to the Macbook?

The mid-2012 can work with basically any ddr3L 1600 ram.

It’s not lighting up when I plug it into the computer.
[doublepost=1536726460][/doublepost]
It’s not lighting up when I plug it into the computer.
I was super excited to hear about the upgrades I could do with this computer. I bought it and it never really performed great. Wondering if the RAM is damaged? Stupid question maybe but, is it because I was wearing socks and static charged it? Maybe I have been reading too many forums.

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Does the charger led light up with the battery congested? If not, I suggest closely examining the board for any signs of a short.

Can you hear anything rolling around in the MacBook when you rotate it around?

Camdeck

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2018
Does the charger led light up with the battery congested? If not, I suggest closely examining the board for any signs of a short.

Can you hear anything rolling around in the MacBook when you rotate it around?
It does not. I noticed that a part where the battery was screwed to the computer was broken. I was able to take the battery right out. Could the plastic from that short it out?
I really appreciate your advice so far. Do you mind telling me how to identify a short?
[doublepost=1536726920][/doublepost]Actually yes I do hear some faint movement of something loose in the Mac.

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
The battery is not installed using adhesive so removing the tri-wing screws would allow the battery to be easily removed.

Does there appear to be any damage (scrapes, scratches) on the logic board around the battery screw?

Shorts can be impossible to see with the naked eye unless it results in visible damage such as deformed capacitors or resistors or burn marks on the circuit board. Unfortunately, you can only see one side of the circuit board.

Try this: disconnect the keyboard, disconnect the battery, and then connect the charger.

Camdeck

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2018
There does not appear to be any damage. Do you have a link for how to disconnect the keyboard? The only ones I found involved dismantling the computer.

Camdeck

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2018
Is this attached photo the keyboard part? Also, you can see the broken battery part.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    860.7 KB · Views: 203

Hater

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2017
Edinburgh, Scotland
If it was bad RAM, it would still power up, just beep at you. You haven't dislodged/shorted one of the battery connectors, have you?

Next time you go swapping RAM in one, don't bother disconnecting the battery.

Edit: Just saw the photo. Is that ribbon cable seated correctly? Doesn't look like it but the photos kind of dodgy

Camdeck

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2018
If it was bad RAM, it would still power up, just beep at you. You haven't dislodged/shorted one of the battery connectors, have you?

Next time you go swapping RAM in one, don't bother disconnecting the battery.

Edit: Just saw the photo. Is that ribbon cable seated correctly? Doesn't look like it but the photos kind of dodgy

It is certainly possible. The video I watched the guy disconnected the battery. I did disconnect before removing and installing the new ram.
I think it is seated properly, I didn’t touch it before the photo. I got my phone wet fishing last weekend. My stuffs all messed up right now.
I’m working on disconnecting the keyboard.

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
The damaged battery screw would not cause a short.

Try reseating the ribbon cable. If you have a problem inserting the cable, attach a piece of take to the cable to form a "tab" you can use to guide the cable back in.

I always recommend disconnecting all power sources before adding and removing ram.

Camdeck

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2018
The damaged battery screw would not cause a short.

Try reseating the ribbon cable. If you have a problem inserting the cable, attach a piece of take to the cable to form a "tab" you can use to guide the cable back in.

I always recommend disconnecting all power sources before adding and removing ram.
I disconnected the keyboard and battery and plugged it in. Still no response.
[doublepost=1536728583][/doublepost]I closed my hands around the charger and to try and see the light. A very dim green light turns on when I connect it to the computer.
[doublepost=1536728964][/doublepost]
I disconnected the keyboard and battery and plugged it in. Still no response.
[doublepost=1536728583][/doublepost]I closed my hands around the charger and to try and see the light. A very dim green light turns on when I connect it to the computer.
I reseated the keyboard ribbon. The tape trick worked getting it back in there
[doublepost=1536729054][/doublepost]The power cord definitely illuminated a very dim green when it is connected to the computer, but there is not response. Even when I connected the battery again.
[doublepost=1536729273][/doublepost]
Step 11 is the keyboard ribbon cable: https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Pro+13-Inch+Unibody+Mid+2012+Upper+Case+Replacement/10377

Signing off for the night (actually, it's 1 am where I am).

Can't think of anything else at the moment.

I hope you are successful in reviving the MacBook.
Thank you so much for your help and time. It was very generous of you. I learned a lot
[doublepost=1536730195][/doublepost]
It is certainly possible. The video I watched the guy disconnected the battery. I did disconnect before removing and installing the new ram.
I think it is seated properly, I didn’t touch it before the photo. I got my phone wet fishing last weekend. My stuffs all messed up right now.
I’m working on disconnecting the keyboard.[/

How do I determine if I shorted one of the battery connectors?
[doublepost=1536730643][/doublepost]Damn, after reading other forums I think I did short my battery connection. I chew my fingernails so I was struggling and used a small flathead screw driver to open it. I see that someone else did the same thing on another forum. I feel so dumb.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 182

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Don't feel dumb. I've learned my lesson by ruining my share of items too which is why I purchased a plastic spudger and a thin metal spudger. If I need to use the metal spudger around power sources, I cover the end in tape to prevent metal-on-metal contact.

I know it's a bit late now but I always recommend disconnecting all power sources when working on circuit boards. Accidents can happen such as dropping a screw onto the board that causes contact between two contacts, liquid spills, etc.

The image in your last post looks like the i/o board is has come in contact with liquid, the liquid has dried, left behind residue, and may have corroded the connections. Look at the last picture here: https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBoo...id+2012+MagSafe+DC-In+Board+Replacement/10371

Before replacing the DC board, remove it, thoroughly clean it and any other areas that appear similar with pure isopropyl alcohol, reassemble, and test.

You can find replacement Magsafe i/o boards on eBay. The Apple store will charge a lot to replace the Magsafe board.

It may be pure coincidence that the issue arose after swapping the ram.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.