Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

twistedlegato

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2006
My macbook (Black 2GHz, 512MB) is randomly shutting down at random times Mainly when its becoming warm but not when its the hottest it can be. And its on the Solid surface of my desk. I called apple and they said to bring it into the apple store for repairs tomorrow. So i am making an appointment for the Genius bar.

All i want to know is if anybody else has had these problems. I know there might be a thread on this already but i just needed to set my problem alone.

So has anybody else had these problems...PLEASE HELP!!!!!

EDIT:I am about to leave for the apple store for my appointment with the Mac genius. I have never been to a mac geius and i never had wanted to unless it was for fun. When i get i back i will post what happened there.

EDIT 2: I posted my review of when i got back to the apple store and the genius bar on my latest post on this thread!!!! It is a MUST READ!

marchcapital

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2006
Canada
i just got my black macbook and it did shut down on me tonight randomly. although it was while it was closed and sitting in my bag for 2 and a half hours while i was in a meeting. maybe it shuts down after the screns been closed for a certain amount of time.

let me know what they say at the genius bar, i dont have an apple store close by.

wako

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
AppleCare is 1 year... not 90 days...

Might I ask what were you doing on your computer when it suddenly shutted off?

twistedlegato

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2006
mishi said:
im just guessing, but i think it has somthing to do with overheating

When it shuts down i am usualy playing a game. But other times it has done it when i was just using safari or garageband. And even though i know it heats up when playing games, i know it should not just shut down. I mean this is why i bought a mac. So i would not have my computer Shutting down on me while using Word or something important. When tha pple store opens i am gonna schedual an appointment with a Genius at the Genius Bar. Hopefully they can repair it there because i NEED it by the saturday.

any other comment?

twistedlegato

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2006
beloved84 said:
the problem does not involve overheating. its simply a crappy logic board.

Actully when it does this is not always the hottest it can be. I have felt it much hotter in fact. I just think my "baby" is dying:(

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
Do you mean shut down or loses power completely? My wife's MB is occasionally losing power, going completely dead.

beloved84

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2006
at first i thought it was heat too. i would play wow and it would turn off. but then it started to happen to me when i turn it on after it being off for like hours.

twistedlegato

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2006
marchcapital said:
i just got my black macbook and it did shut down on me tonight randomly. although it was while it was closed and sitting in my bag for 2 and a half hours while i was in a meeting. maybe it shuts down after the screns been closed for a certain amount of time.

let me know what they say at the genius bar, i dont have an apple store close by.

Well i just got back from the apple store and the guy fixed it!!!!!!! The reason i know he fixed it was that there was a game that ALWAYS makes my computer shut down as well as some other apps. And i was using it for about 5-8 min. And it usualy shuts down around around 3-4 min.!! That Mac genius was the best man ever!!!!!!! And while i was at the apple store i realized that they finally had 13" macbook cases!!!!! so i picked one up and man it good. And it even has an attchable sling!!!!!! so if you computer is randomly shutting down TAKE IT TO AN APPLE STORE!!!!!!!!!! I LOVE APPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!:) :)

beloved84

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2006
oldnavy1918 said:
Well i just got back from the apple store and the guy fixed it!!!!!!! The reason i know he fixed it was that there was a game that ALWAYS makes my computer shut down as well as some other apps. And i was using it for about 5-8 min. And it usualy shuts down around around 3-4 min.!! That Mac genius was the best man ever!!!!!!! And while i was at the apple store i realized that they finally had 13" macbook cases!!!!! so i picked one up and man it good. And it even has an attchable sling!!!!!! so if you computer is randomly shutting down TAKE IT TO AN APPLE STORE!!!!!!!!!! I LOVE APPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!:) :)

so what exactly did he do that fixed it?

twistedlegato

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2006
beloved84 said:
so what exactly did he do that fixed it?

He did alot of things. But he like reseted the battery and did a few other things like plug in a firewire drive and used my computer through it or something (it was all very confusing) and all i know is that it is fixed....I LOVE YOU APPLE!!!!!!

JackSYi

macrumors 6502a
Feb 20, 2005
My Black MacBook started randomly shutting itself off. Took it to an Apple store an hour and a half away and tried to get a a replacement since I am leaving for Peru on Friday. They said they would repair and have it ready tomorrow around 6pm. The genius said that it is DEFINITELY the logic board. I'll keep you guys updated.

vv-tim

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2006
JackSYi said:
My Black MacBook started randomly shutting itself off. Took it to an Apple store an hour and a half away and tried to get a a replacement since I am leaving for Peru on Friday. They said they would repair and have it ready tomorrow around 6pm. The genius said that it is DEFINITELY the logic board. I'll keep you guys updated.

Yeah, keep us updated... I really don't want to drive 90 minutes to an Apple Store though. Especially since I need the logic board and the top bezel replaced.

JackSYi

macrumors 6502a
Feb 20, 2005
vv-tim said:
Yeah, keep us updated... I really don't want to drive 90 minutes to an Apple Store though. Especially since I need the logic board and the top bezel replaced.

UPDATE: They replaced the Logic Board and the Top Case. OS 10.7. SMC is 1.4f8. Been using it for about 30mins with no restart. The fans run constantly however the temp is at 167 F.

twistedlegato

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2006
JackSYi said:
UPDATE: They replaced the Logic Board and the Top Case. OS 10.7. SMC is 1.4f8. Been using it for about 30mins with no restart. The fans run constantly however the temp is at 167 F.

Due im sorry man but when my Macbook starting Shutting DOWN AGAIN:mad: :mad: :mad: ... i took it to the apple store and thehy replaced the heat sink and now i knwo its fixed for sure.......people have replaced like 3 logic boards and get no reults, its the heat sink with the problem

vv-tim

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2006
oldnavy1918 said:
Due im sorry man but when my Macbook starting Shutting DOWN AGAIN:mad: :mad: :mad: ... i took it to the apple store and thehy replaced the heat sink and now i knwo its fixed for sure.......people have replaced like 3 logic boards and get no reults, its the heat sink with the problem

The heat sink is connected to the logic board... don't they replace that when they replace the logic board?

stuuke

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2004
Same problem here. Mine didn't start until after I upgraded the fan firmware from Apple.

twistedlegato

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2006
vv-tim said:
The heat sink is connected to the logic board... don't they replace that when they replace the logic board?

Nope just the heat sink, and my macbook is now fixed..soo if ayone takes there mabook to apple and they want to replace your logic board..yell at thm to change your heat sink..

Donz0r

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2006
Yep, it's the heat sink. They must've just discovered it before mine was sent in for repair, because i had never heard of anyone with the problem gettingtheir heatsink replaced, but they replaced mine about a month ago and i haven't had a shutdown since!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.