Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DOlsson

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 3, 2007
I have(had) this problem. My MacBook had the case of the flickers.

I recently got fed up and took it in, and sure enough they couldn't replicate the problem. So they took my word for it and replaced the inverter. Then something else happened. They told me my battery went haywire and started reporting that they had 4000 minutes remaining of battery life etc. Up and down up and down.

So out of this I got a new inverter, and a new battery, all for free!

I'm pretty happy, only until the flickers come back which I heard was common too...

Anyone have any war stories about their MacBooks?

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
I'm glad you had a good experience with your repairs, as others have been reporting some not-so-good customer service experiences.

I wouldn't worry too much about your macbook now. Assuming that it was the inverter, I'd say the odds of a repeat problem are low (even if these forums make you think the opposite).

BTW, you will get many responses from those with bad macbooks, but do remember that this is a forum where people come to complain/vent about what happened to them. It's essentially a lightning rod, so don't assume that Apple treats all of their customers badly or poorly. Just keep this in mind as you hear some pretty nasty stories (some of the store managers are really rude).:)

DOlsson

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 3, 2007
Thanks Cal, what a pleasant response.

What gets me is how could this happen with so many peoples laptops? I know only one other person with a MacBook and she too has the same flickering problem...

Strange how something like this could slip through the QA. I've decided that after this laptop self destructs, I won't be buying apple again...

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
Thanks Cal, what a pleasant response.

What gets me is how could this happen with so many peoples laptops? I know only one other person with a MacBook and she too has the same flickering problem...

Strange how something like this could slip through the QA. I've decided that after this laptop self destructs, I won't be buying apple again...

It seems that Apple's QA has gone down recently, but I think there are plenty of us who aren't experiencing any problems at all (me for example).

Personally, I think some of the QA issues might be from Apple's expansion. Macbooks are a very hot buy right now, and Apple might be struggling to keep up with demand. And what happens when a company has too many order to fill? Quality heads downwards. I'm sure we've all seen that Lucy episode where she tries to keep up at the chocolate factory; suffice it to say that she didn't fair well;):p

DOlsson

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 3, 2007
LOL I know exactly what you're saying.

It's just a shame that this is my first experience with an Apple product, and it had to go like this. I was always the loser saying **** about apple, then I finally grew up and realized that they make one hell of a product.

Then I get a dud lol.

yoda13

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2003
Texas
LOL I know exactly what you're saying.

It's just a shame that this is my first experience with an Apple product, and it had to go like this. I was always the loser saying **** about apple, then I finally grew up and realized that they make one hell of a product.

Then I get a dud lol.

I have had duds from Apple before too, an iBook, and now maybe a MacBook...put in between I have had a powermac that is six years strong and has never left me high and dry and four perfect powerbooks...there will always be duds...personally, I think that Apple products are pretty good myself, though I do have to admit...I think lately they SEEM to have more quality issues...but I still love 'em..:):apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.