Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

evanrousso

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 28, 2006
So I wanted to get an idea on how to install new ram so I went through the manual to see how its done. I powered my macbook off and removed the battery to see where the ram would go. After I put my batter back in and turned the machine back on all of my settings were reset. This is including my itunes library, which I have to set up again.

Is this normal? If so is there a way to prevent this from happening?

evanrousso

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 28, 2006
ARGH!

Seriously, everything is gone...all the music I transfered over from my old computer is gone...everything.

Is there a setting somewhere that may have done this?

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Thats really odd.

The chances of ANYTHING nuking a bunch of music you transfered over is pretty slim.

How did you transfer it over?

evanrousso

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 28, 2006
i transfered it over via an external drive. And everything has been there for a few days now. Heres the thing though I looked up my available storage and it still says that I have 33gb left on my hard drive...which means the music is still there I just cant find it.

I already ran spotlight and I checked to see If i somehow created another account that didnt have my music on it. Any advice?

evanrousso

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 28, 2006
Ok I just ran automator and when I typed in the name of a band that was in my music archive itunes popped up but there was still no music there

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Two random thoughts:

It's not somehow in your Trash is it? And if you do a spotlight for .mp3 files, does it turn anything up?

Ugh, if this was Windows, there are like 10 more things to check, but I'm still learning OS X too!

evanrousso

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 28, 2006
I did rename my home folder actually! And come to think of it thats about when the problem started...what should i do now?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Okay, create a new user account in System Preferences, log into it, change the name of your original Home folder (not the new one) back to what it was, log back out of the new account, log into your original account. That should work. Now you can delete the new account. :)

aussie_geek

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
Sydney Australia
mad jew said:
Okay, create a new user account in System Preferences, log into it, change the name of your original Home folder (not the new one) back to what it was, log back out of the new account, log into your original account. That should work. Now you can delete the new account. :)

** Also make sure that the new account you make as an admin one**

aussie_geek

evanrousso

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 28, 2006
ok so i made a new account (i named it "test") and set it up as an admin, I logged out and logged back in under "test"...now my home folder is named "test" where do i find the old home folder?

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
evanrousso said:
ok so i made a new account (i named it "test") and set it up as an admin, I logged out and logged back in under "test"...now my home folder is named "test" where do i find the old home folder?
It will be located in Computer > Macintosh HD > Users

evanrousso

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 28, 2006
okay right now I am logged into my "test" account and I went to Users and I see the old account but I dont know where to find the old home folder so that I can change it back to what it was.

evanrousso

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 28, 2006
when i changed the home folder name i changed it from "evanrousso" to "Evan Rousso".

So I am in the User folder under the "test" account and I see four folders. "Evan Rousso", "evanrousso" (this one i cant access for some reason), "Shared", and the home folder for "test. What should I do now?

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Assuming "evanrousso" is a new folder that doesn't have your music, etc and "Evan Rousso" is your folder that has all of your data...

Can't you just:

Logon as your test account (assuming it has admin privilidges)
Open up Finder and browse to Macintosh HD > Users
In the Users folder, rename "evanrousso" to "evanrousso.bak" (for safe-keeping)
Then rename "Evan Rousso" folder back to "evanrousso" (the way it was before you renamed it)
Try logging back on as evanrousso.

evanrousso

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 28, 2006
"test" is set up as an admin, but for some reason it wont let me make changes to the folder "evanrousso"

It says that I dont have those privliages.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
If you use Finder and right click on the two folders that have your name in it and choose "Get Info", at the bottom of the "Get Info" screen, under "Ownership and Permissions", if you click "Details", who does it list at the owner for the two folders?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.