Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

slimmy18222

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 13, 2017
Italy
Hello everybody.

I've got a 12" MacBook retina A1534 2016 model with dead internal SSD. Since it's a well know hardware failure in those models and repair does not worth the effort nor buying a new Logic Board, I'm here to ask if somebody have managed to "put an other drive inside". This model have only one usb-c port, my idea is to put inside the body a memory micro sd card of 256gb to use as Hard Drive and keep using my Mac in portability. One problem is that the single usb-c port should be "duplicate", one will be used for the new disk and stay inside the body and the other one, like the one alredy present, on the outside of the body to be used as normal for charging and other connections.
Any one managed to solve this situation in this way or a similar one? I'm open to any suggestion. I've got a little bit soldering skills and already have a "double usb-c" pulled from 2016 MacBookPro, but i'm not sure if logic board connector is the same.
Thank you

M1kan

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2022
Hello everybody.

I've got a 12" MacBook retina A1534 2016 model with dead internal SSD. Since it's a well know hardware failure in those models and repair does not worth the effort nor buying a new Logic Board, I'm here to ask if somebody have managed to "put an other drive inside". This model have only one usb-c port, my idea is to put inside the body a memory micro sd card of 256gb to use as Hard Drive and keep using my Mac in portability. One problem is that the single usb-c port should be "duplicate", one will be used for the new disk and stay inside the body and the other one, like the one alredy present, on the outside of the body to be used as normal for charging and other connections.
Any one managed to solve this situation in this way or a similar one? I'm open to any suggestion. I've got a little bit soldering skills and already have a "double usb-c" pulled from 2016 MacBookPro, but i'm not sure if logic board connector is the same.
Thank you
Hi, wanted to ask if you have found the solution to your idea. I was thinking the same.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.