Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OcramSagev

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 2, 2017
San Francisco, CA
Hello:

My original Macbook retina mid 2012 battery was dying after 5 yrs of use and 850 cycle.

So I bought a new battery, installed it and after few days of use, the design capacity went down to 81%.Mac shutdown at about 28%. I returned it with no hassle. Battery was a yr old.

Then I bought another one, battery was 5 yrs old. I got the "replace now" error after few days of use.

Then I bought one from amazon, same problem. Few days later I saw the design capacity problem again.

Bought another one in eBay from a reputable vendor. Same capacity design problem, mac shuts down at about 30%. Seller is sending me another battery.

It seems to me the problem gets worse once I start doing calibrations and SMC resets.

I'm starting to thing the problem is somewhere else. Any ideas?

PIcture: https://ibb.co/i4ren8

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-06-19 at 7.38.48 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-06-19 at 7.38.48 PM.png
    316.1 KB · Views: 326

OcramSagev

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 2, 2017
San Francisco, CA
Stop buying batteries from Amazon and eBay. Those sellers don't have access to new OEM parts. They simply refurb old packs or sell you B-grade ones.

If you need a good OEM battery, you need to buy it from a place like Rewa. They get their parts from ASPs who order from Apple.

https://www.rewatechnology.com/batt...-a1382-early-2011-mid-2012-oem-new-12746.html
I already bought 5 of them, five from very different vendors and it seems that all of them exhibit the same problem. Since I've tried so many I've thought it could be my power supply. On the good side, all sellers have given me a full refund.
At least I am now a super-expert removing the glue batteries.. I can literally take them out in 5 min using a nylon cord to break the glue.
I couldn't find any macbook retina batteries in the link you provided. If my next one breaks, do you know if the ones sold by iFixIT are good?

_Kiki_

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2017
there is no battery replacement for retina model, only genuine battery will work

OcramSagev

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 2, 2017
San Francisco, CA
Sounds a little strange, I this the procedure you follow when calibrating?
2CURbF3.png

Source iFixit
I think you may have missed it but the coconut battery picture was posted in the original message as well as the SMC reset and calibration. In fact, the battery's capacity decreased significantly after the calibration.

Truth is that I've bought these batteries from different vendors in eBay and Amazon and I find very very hard to believe that 5 purchased batteries show the same problem unless all the batteries sold in Amazon/eBay are crap. At least all the vendors who sold me the battery have returned my money 100% including free returns.

And I get shutdowns at between 15% and 30% so the mac goes directly to shutdown without hibernating sleep:L I can confirm this because after the shutdown, pressing the power button shows the depleted battery icon on the screen.

COuld it be something in my OS?
[doublepost=1529609489][/doublepost]
there is no battery replacement for retina model, only genuine battery will work

There is only one company that makes these batteries: Simplo. Sometimes Simplo makes a batch of batteries and Apple does not buy all of them. There are also the rejects from the factory that did not pass QA. So some 3rd companies will buy the good ones , put a sticker on it and sell them (which is probably what NewTech does) or some buy the ones that did not pass the tests and sell them in eBay. All these are genuine batteries but not all are sold by Apple.

And then there are those who take the bad batteries, refurbishe them by removing the bad cells and replacing them with other cells probably from other defective batteries. They are still originals because all components are made by Simplo but selling refurb as new is illegal.

So when you said "genuine battery" , what are you referring to: Simplo Batteries? Batteries replaced by Apple for $199?

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
I already bought 5 of them, five from very different vendors and it seems that all of them exhibit the same problem. Since I've tried so many I've thought it could be my power supply. On the good side, all sellers have given me a full refund.
At least I am now a super-expert removing the glue batteries.. I can literally take them out in 5 min using a nylon cord to break the glue.
I couldn't find any macbook retina batteries in the link you provided. If my next one breaks, do you know if the ones sold by iFixIT are good?

iFixit sells the same crap just packaged better.

What’s the model number of your MacBook?

_Kiki_

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2017
Apple it's only 100% reliable source for customers
Simplo don't sell for individuals
other choices it's your own risk

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.