Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aangvento

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 18, 2020
This is my first post in the forums! I am sorry if this is not the right place for this threat. Will gladly move the post to the correct one if that's the case!

Well, let's go right into the subject.

I have recently found a way to get a 2015 13" A1502 retina MackBook, the first mac I ever owned. I am not sure if I will get used to MacOS and, if I don't, I will likely install Linux for a more familiar interface. But that had nothing to do with displays, no.

The laptop's retina screen is broken. I wish to replace it! But a replacement display assembly is worth more than the computer itself. A display-only replacement is actually not that much cheaper, and the risk involved (at least with my research) is not worth it for my untrained hands. I am experienced in dealing with hardware and am trying to get into lower-level stuff.

Then it came to me: I could try to use another retina screen, from a late 2013 or a 2014 model (both are the same model, A1502). I found out it would be recognized as an external display and take a bit longer to turn on after you turn the laptop on, but that's not an issue. You can likely just replace the board from the 2013-2015 screen with one from a 2015. That should definitely work!

But if I could get away with that, maybe I could use a non-retina screen to replace the one on the laptop. My research has lead me to know it uses a 30-pin connector, and that it likely uses the LVDS system (an iPad 9" retina display uses a EDP interface, and I haven't found much data on it). I might even manage to get a 4k display on it, although I am not entirely sure the 20-pin connector will handle the influx of data.

The idea was to start simple. Maybe just a fullHD; quite sure I can find or adapt an existing laptop screen model to work with the MacBook's hinge slots.

Do any of you have any recommendations? Have you done it yourself, or ever heard about someone doing this? Is there a way to get my hands on the schematics for the screen/motherboard, or access to other information/literature on the subject?

Before you comment saying this is not worth it or I am destroying a perfectly fine (screenless) MacBook, a MacBook with a Dell logo on it would be hilarious and you know that. Even if it's not a perfect fit. As would a retina with a polycarbonate screen attached to it!

Thanks, everyone!

Reactions: canesalato

aangvento

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 18, 2020
I have news on the project. I am still looking for references, but since retina, the screens use the iDP standard (integrated Display Port). It handles higher resolutions than eDP (apparently) and LVDS (for sure).

I am still unsure how to tell a standard from another, once apparently they look the same, other than expect that a high data monitor (high resolution) uses iDP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.