Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bt1988

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 12, 2007
Today, I went in to change my password on my account on my MacBook and when I logged out and logged back in to the same account (there is only one on the computer) it was like a completely restored computer. There was a ? mark where the iMovie HD was, it deleted the icons for Word, PowerPoint, and Excel off my dock (they were still in the apps folder) and also took out Photo Booth. When I went into iTunes, there is nothing. I can use Spotlight to find some the songs on my computer, but when I click the "iTunes Music Library Folder", there is nothing in there. All the customization settings, i.e. trackpad settings, screen saver settings, and the background all reverted to what it was like brand new. Even iChat thinks its new and there are no contacts or bookmarks in Safari. I'm kind of afraid to sync my iPhone to it. Any Ideas as to what is going on? Remember I have only ever had one user account on this computer and all I did today was change the password to it. It was fine before the restart then like this after. Is there any way to do a restore to a few days before like on Windows?
I've also been using Apple Comps for years, so I'm not a total Newb at this kind of stuff.

Dybbuk

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2006
That happened to me. I freaked out at first and thought it did what Vista does, dump the user profile. But I should have known a Mac would not pull that kind of crap. LOL.

I did it a few times when I got the machine. :)

thegrandmaster

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2007
Valhalla!
I renamed my home folder once.

Single scariest Mac experience ever. No one could tell me why it happened, and it was before I found this board. Was not fun.

anirban

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2007
Houston, TX
Pardon me if this is obvious, but how do you rename the Home folder? And how do you go about reverting back? Its good to know what to do in a case like this.

Thanks!

thegrandmaster

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2007
Valhalla!
Pardon me if this is obvious, but how do you rename the Home folder? And how do you go about reverting back? Its good to know what to do in a case like this.

Thanks!

You do it the same way you rename any folder, just hit enter while you have it selected, and you type in a new name. Its a ridiculously easy thing to do that can result in carnage, especially if you're a new user.

To change it back you just rename it back the exact same way it was.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.