Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andrewface

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 17, 2006
i just noticed this on my macbook and it is kind of concerning. My screen seems to be off centre. There is a large (2mm) gap (black space) between where the screen starts on the left side. There is a far smaller gap between the right side of the screen and the edge of the macbook. Also when i look into the left side against the screen i can see a bright light shinning from the corner.. that doesnt bother me because it doesnt effect the book at all..however it cant be normal as the right edge of the screen has no such light.

ill follow up with some pictures.

my three month free applecare is now over...by about 5 days.. how do you go about the warranty now that you cant all in anymore?

MrCrowbar

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2006
andrewface said:
i just noticed this on my macbook and it is kind of concerning. My screen seems to be off centre. There is a large (2mm) gap (black space) between where the screen starts on the left side. There is a far smaller gap between the right side of the screen and the edge of the macbook. Also when i look into the left side against the screen i can see a bright light shinning from the corner.. that doesnt bother me because it doesnt effect the book at all..however it cant be normal as the right edge of the screen has no such light.

ill follow up with some pictures.

my three month free applecare is now over...by about 5 days.. how do you go about the warranty now that you cant all in anymore?

Dude, that's a serious manufacturing error. Send it back for replacement.

MrCrowbar

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2006
The backlighting on my Macbook has a loose contact and I have problems with power. Sometimes it goes off without warning, and when you try to boot it up again, it goes off immediately...

I wanna get it repaired. Should I put my 2 GB RAM out before I give it to the apple guys? I don't have the original RAM modules that came with it here...

andrewface

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 17, 2006
its not MAJOR....but it is annoying and it looks cheap and its a 1500 dollar laptop...i expect it to be prefect!

im working on uploading those pictures now

suneohair

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2006
MrCrowbar said:
The backlighting on my Macbook has a loose contact and I have problems with power. Sometimes it goes off without warning, and when you try to boot it up again, it goes off immediately...

I wanna get it repaired. Should I put my 2 GB RAM out before I give it to the apple guys? I don't have the original RAM modules that came with it here...

It wasnt very smart to get rid of the original RAM. Just tell Apple you upgraded after the fact and dont have the original RAM. They may help you.

They could very well write it off as a 3rd party RAM problem.

MrCrowbar

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2006
andrewface said:
its not MAJOR....but it is annoying and it looks cheap and its a 1500 dollar laptop...i expect it to be prefect!

im working on uploading those pictures now

Mine is perfectly aligned. And I also have the Blackbook. The warantee will cover that.

andrewface

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 17, 2006
MrCrowbar said:
Mine is perfectly aligned. And I also have the Blackbook. The warantee will cover that.

im almost certain mine was aligned perfect...because i just noticed this problem after owning this thing for 3 months...pics are uploading now

MrCrowbar

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2006
suneohair said:
It wasnt very smart to get rid of the original RAM. Just tell Apple you upgraded after the fact and dont have the original RAM. They may help you.

They could very well write it off as a 3rd party RAM problem.

Well the original RAM is in my appartment in Europe, and I'm in the US until February. My point actually was that they might just give me a new Macbook with stock 512 MB. Can I give them the Macbook without any RAM inside for repair?

andrewface

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 17, 2006

andrewface

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 17, 2006
so how do you go about getting this fixed? how long would it take...would i have to reinstall all my apps...would i get a new book altogether or what? ...i better not get some refirbished pos..where do i go...i dont live anywhere near an apple store so i would probably have to do this over the net...to my understanding i cant call them anymore because the apple care thing is over correct?

drake

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2005
andrewface said:

Your pics aren't loading for me, just a blank black screen.

andrewface

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 17, 2006
Scarlet Fever said:
sounds like an annoying problem...

...and those links don't work for me in safari; they just close instantly

weird ya they are no longer working for me either..ill try again tomorrow
right now i gotta sleep tho!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.