Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bunzwsu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2008
I have a macbook with a broken screen i manage to pick one up on ebay a replacement lcd. My question is should i replace the lcd myself or take it to a shop? Taking it to a shop to replace for me would cost me roughly $140. What do you all think is it easy to replace the screen or should i just take it in.

vniow

macrumors G4
Jul 18, 2002
I accidentally my whole location.
The screen itself isn't too difficult to put in if you know what you're doing. If you're not screwdriver savvy, you could run into trouble. The inverter cable is the most difficult part of replacing it since you can't actually see the connector. There's the easy way to do it and the hard way to do it, the latter requires taking the top case off and the former only requires the screen bezel to be removed. The $140 is a good investment IMO if you have a good shop install it. Too many things can go wrong.

bunzwsu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2008
yeah i took it to the shop and got it done. he told me that it was going to take 3 hours. the charge for the replacement was $120 plus tax coming to around $130. Is he right though changing the screen can take as long as 3 hours to do. I return before they close and he basically took everything apart keybooard and everything. Total cost for a replacement screen and having it replace only cost me close to $250 not the $700-$900 that the apple store told me they would do it for. I am really excited to get my black macbook back tomorrow . thanks for responding.

vniow

macrumors G4
Jul 18, 2002
I accidentally my whole location.
3 hours? That's a huge load of crap. Even if they had to take the top case off and replace the entire screen assembly it wouldn't take more than an hour at most. If you're just replacing the screen itself it takes about 30 minutes. I do these regularly so I know all the ins and outs of MB screen repair. Did you just get the screen or the entire assembly?

$130 is a pretty good rate though, its not much more than my shop would charge if we installed a customer provided screen. Like I mentioned before, its a good investment for something as delicate as the LCD.

bunzwsu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2008
I got just the LCD screen off of ebay the casing to the MacBook screen is okay all he had to do was swap the old screen for the new one. He told me that mac used some type of glue or need to be heated or something like that. I guess he's just being cautious or something. He's not charging me by the hour but one flat rate so I can't really complain on that. Around here there are more of base repair and not many mac ones and he was pretty much the only one that would do it. The only other place charges 175/hr and that through a mac authorized dealer place. Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.