Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

malachai

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 27, 2007
My superdrive started to get temperamental with the maxell cd-rs I had previously used without problems. It now accepts some and spits out some (that is, after inserting the cd it makes the usual noises while "checking media", then ejects the cd). So I bought a cake tub of Taiyo Yuden cd-rs, which it won't accept at all (I've tried about 15, from different parts of the stack). It reads CDs (both commercial and CDRs) and DVDs without problems and burns DVDs also without problems (Taiyo Yuden DVD+R).
Can anyone help me figure out where the problem is?
The macbook is a 2Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo and I bought it 8 months ago. It has the SuperDrive update 2.1.0 installed.

malachai

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 27, 2007
That is my favorite track on pretzel logic, but what did I write to make you think I'm an imbecile....? And before you ask, I did try both ways, but guess what...still spitting. :rolleyes:

TheStu

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2006
Carlisle, PA
It sounds like the update may have bricked your drive. The exact same thing has happened to my friend, and it actually seems to get worse as time goes on, either that or he just scratches some disks up worse and worse.

Contact Apple, see what can be done to get you a new drive. They know that this is a problem, but haven't issued a blanket response unfortunately. They have however pulled that update from their site (at least last I heard)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.