Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

volitalis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 19, 2009
I have recently bought an iMac G4 [17" 1.25ghz 256mb RAM (which I will be upgrading to 756mb soon enough].

I just want to know if I can use the Macbook Tiger install discs [1 & 2] to install Tiger OSX onto the imac g4?? And if so, will it include ical, iphoto etc? And how do I go about doing it?

Thanks

Volitalis

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
I have recently bought an iMac G4 [17" 1.25ghz 256mb RAM (which I will be upgrading to 756mb soon enough].

I just want to know if I can use the Macbook Tiger install discs [1 & 2] to install Tiger OSX onto the imac g4?? And if so, will it include ical, iphoto etc? And how do I go about doing it?

Thanks

Volitalis
No, system restore discs are machine specific - you will need to purchase a retail copy of Tiger - and that will not come with iLife.

darkpaw

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2007
London, England
As mentioned, you can't use restore discs that came from a different type of Mac.

Hunt around the second-hand/auction sites. You might find a set for the iMac G4.

While you're there, can't you go to Leopard instead? (Leopard supports the iMac G4, right?)

iCal will be there. iTunes is a free download. iPhoto, iDVD, iMovie and GarageBand must be purchased in the iLife '09 box set. If you're a student, Apple will give you quite a big discount on iLife - better than usual price; just ask them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.