Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fearless Leader

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 21, 2006
Hoosiertown
hi everybody,
today is the last chance to trade in my macbook to turn it into a pro. I love the macbook but in the graphics department it just doesn't survive. I have a couple wuestions about the pro.
1) does it scratch as easy cuase just basic use on the macbook looks like i took steel wool to it.
2)Batter life, any way to get to 4-4.5 hours i get on macbook? underclocking?
3)Also can anyone recomend a sleve, im just putting my macbook in my backpack.

Thanks for all help in advance.

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
1) does it scratch as easy cuase just basic use on the macbook looks like i took steel wool to it.
my parents own a MBP, and i find the top and inside casing doesnt scratch as much, but the bottom still does slightly

Turning off all wireless options, closing unneeded apps, keeping the CPU running quiet, keeping it on a stand (less heat = fans don't need to come on = more battery life), refrain from using the cd/dvd drive, and dim the screen.

Crumpler make some awesome bags. They are pricey, but their stuff is absolute top-quality. They protect your investment from pretty much anything, come wind, rain or sun.

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
I can answer some of those.
1) I would guess it wouldn't scratch as easily because my iBook scratches WAY too easily and I assume that it holds true for the macbook also.
2) I would suggest getting a second battery from Apple which is what I am going to do when I get it. Also if you don't need a 7200RPM drive then don't get it because it will save you a bit of battery life.
3) I use this laptop bag and it also doubles as a sleve. It's very protective and gives plenty of room to spare with my 14" iBook and it's inexpensive.

Fearless Leader

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 21, 2006
Hoosiertown
I tried using shake on the macbook, don't laugh, and motion, same no laughing please, motion was a an absolute pain and shake didn't run. Also i like to play wow and some first person shooters, just not fear or doom3.

Also will i notice 1g to 2g of ram. I just slightly noticed it on my g5 and want something to justify the price of the ram.

XP Defector

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2006
iBookG4user said:
I can answer some of those.
2) I would suggest getting a second battery from Apple which is what I am going to do when I get it. Also if you don't need a 7200RPM drive then don't get it because it will save you a bit of battery life.

Check out Hiatchi travelstars, (make sure it is SATA for MacBook, not sure about the Pro). They are faster, have better capacty (upto 160GIG) and use less power than the hard drives that ship with Apple laptops. A good investment I think and one which I'll be making soon to pave the way for Bootcamp :)

Fearless Leader

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 21, 2006
Hoosiertown
I dont really rember what it was like with only a gig in my powermac. Are their any good sites that takes every confiig of an apple comp, say mbp, and benchmark in some high end apps?

brandon6684

Dec 30, 2002
Rokem said:
I tried using shake on the macbook, don't laugh, and motion, same no laughing please, motion was a an absolute pain and shake didn't run. Also i like to play wow and some first person shooters, just not fear or doom3.

Also will i notice 1g to 2g of ram. I just slightly noticed it on my g5 and want something to justify the price of the ram.

Then I'd say you're definitely one of the people need a MacBook Pro over a MacBook. There are far to many people who cry about integrated graphics, even if that's all they need, and they don't realize that the integrated graphics in the MacBooks are quite an upgrade from the pathetic 32MB Radeon 9200 in the iBooks. Since my iMac does my heavy lifting, my MacBook is perfect for what I need it for.

orangezorki

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2006
As for a sleeve, look for the Tucano neoprene ones - I've got one for my 12" Powerbook, and it's done its job well for years.

David

grockk

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2006
Rokem said:

you are running pro apps. buy a pro computer. then worry about ram.

stapler

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2006
How are you trading in your Macbook for a Macbook Pro anyways? And yeah, definitely do it.

Silentwave

macrumors 68000
May 26, 2006
Another thing that might help some with battery life? install developer tools and you can disable one of your CPU cores when you don't need power.

stapler

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2006
Does that actually save power? I was under the impression that it just ignored one of them so that developers could switch between single and dual cores during debugging.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
Rokem said:
hi everybody,
today is the last chance to trade in my macbook to turn it into a pro. I love the macbook but in the graphics department it just doesn't survive. I have a couple wuestions about the pro.

Thanks for all help in advance.

is your basic use consisting of sanding the macbook i mean seriously. mine has no scratches on it and i use it all the time

sometimes i think people exaggerate a bit too much lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.