Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Machead III

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 4, 2002
UK, France
Anybody know any cheap/easy/practical means of connecting a MacBook to a TV to play videos etc. through it? I'm interested in going from the MacBook to either scart, RCA or those old aerial connectors, or all 3 preferably.

uchuff

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2006
I bought one of the Monster cables that has a mini DVI and a earphone type plug at one end and S-Video and two RCA (stereo audio) the other end. I've also got a block that does S-Video and RCA to SCART. They sell the Monster cables in the Apple stores here.

Machead III

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 4, 2002
UK, France
Yeah I heard about that Monster cable, and while I'm sure it'd work, I thought maybe I could get cheaper, non-branded stuff that'd do the same job.

When froogling (UK) "mini-dvi to rca" the only results I get are the Apple Mini-DVI adapter.

If I were to get that adapter, I'd need a cable that went from a port on it, to this:

RCA_Connector_%28photo%29.jpg

Anyone know what such a cable might be called?

gadgetgirl85

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
Machead III said:
Yeap. I'm trying to replace my DVD player with my MacBook.

I've heard that the picture quality isn't so good using a TV as a monitor is this true?

MacAnkka

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2006
Finland
viccles said:
I've heard that the picture quality isn't so good using a TV as a monitor is this true?

yes.

A normal (non-HD) tv has a resolution of 640x480 (NTSC-countries, like the US) or 720x576 (PAL-countries, like most of Europe). The picture is also interlaced and refresh rate is 60hz (NTSC) or 50hz(PAL). It doesn't matter that much in movies/tv-shows, but for browsing the web (or anything that involves reading small text) the picture is simply awful.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.