Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ovs

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 29, 2006
I've searched the forums but found mostly postings regarding over heating/random shutdown etc.

My query/complaint is more on the practical aspect. Put simply, the Macbook because of the amount of heat it generates is plain uncomfortable to use!

I don't mind the underside or the left hand function area being hot, my hands are rarely in that area, but the palm-rest is still uncomfortably warm. I can feel hot rising up. Makes my hands clammy, and every few minutes I find myself stop using the Macbook to cool my hands down.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s not hot like the underside, but on an already warm day it’s warm enough to be uncomfortable. I dread to think what it will be like using it in the summer.

I've tried coreduotemp to see if my Macbook is heating up excessively but it’s showing reasonably normal temps of about 50-55C under normal use.

My query is, do others find it excessively warm around the palm rest area?

Also, could there be something wrong with my machine, or is this expected? Maybe it’s just a matter of getting used to handling a notebook?

Thanks

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
Do you perform a lot of tasks that require programs to load files from the hard drive? If so, that's most likely the reason that there's all that heat, and there's nothing you can do about that. Hard drives generate heat. Apple will laugh if you complain about that.

Ovs

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 29, 2006
Thanks for the replies guys.

I can't think of many apps which don't use the harddrive. But in the past few days I’ve only used combinations of Iweb, Itunes, Firefox, and Macsoup. Nothing particularly demanding I suppose.

It’s strange once the Macbook reaches 50C it doesn't come back down in temperature - even if I close it for a long sleep.

But I just shut it down for 30mins and stated up, and it has been on 30-35C since (using the very same apps.)

Even stranger, since then, after putting it to sleep when it was about 34C, I woke it up to find it had gone up to 39C. It rose 5 degree in its sleep state?! Is it having nightmares? Shouldn't it go down in temp in sleep state rather than up?

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
Not normal. My processor area (under the 2 key on the bottom) gets a little warm, but the palm rests always stay cool...even cooler than my old iBook G4.

sunfast

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2005
My MB (white 2.0GHz) is not at all hot to use - even when doing intensive stuff.

Right now CoreDuo Temp reckons I'm running at 81degC at 2.0GHz (encoding video with EyeTV in H.264) and there is no noticeable warmth on the upperside at all.

Ovs

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 29, 2006
Hmmmm, if that’s the case, seems like there’s definitely something wrong with my Macbook. Maybe something's up with the temperature sensors too. I have a reading of 39C at the moment, and it's close to hot around the palmrest and warm air is radiating from the keyboard area, mostly from the space bar area.

I’ll give Apple a call and see what they say.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
sunfast said:
Right now CoreDuo Temp reckons I'm running at 81degC at 2.0GHz (encoding video with EyeTV in H.264) and there is no noticeable warmth on the upperside at all.

But what about the underside ??

SuperSnake2012

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2005
NY
My Macbook (week 36) is running at 28C right now... earlier today it was as low as 19C, and I couldn't believe my eyes! You must have got a faulty machine :(

Ovs

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 29, 2006
Maybe it does, Steve Jobless. I don't trust the temp sensor on mine, the actual temperature could be anything. It says 39C(yeah right!) but the heat it's radiating from the top surface would be enough to keep me toasty for winter time.

gadgetgirl85

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
SuperSnake2012 said:
My Macbook (week 36) is running at 28C right now... earlier today it was as low as 19C, and I couldn't believe my eyes! You must have got a faulty machine :(

Geez lucky you! My MBP seems to have settled down from last week when it was running at about 70 (Must have known I was about to take it in to get fixed! Now its running at around 45-60

Chone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2006
Ovs said:
Maybe it does, Steve Jobless. I don't trust the temp sensor on mine, the actual temperature could be anything. It says 39C(yeah right!) but the heat it's radiating from the top surface would be enough to keep me toasty for winter time.

You can't trust any sensor for that matter, the results will ALWAYS be a little off which is why temp sensor readings should be used for reference and to get an IDEA but not for actual troubleshooting and thermal solutions.

That being said, Apple laptops have always been hot and I've never felt comfortable using any laptop on my lap (how ironic :p ), that being said, I've never had problems with the top, heat does seemed to ooze from the keyboard and palm rests with my PBG4 but not as much with my MacBook (black), still, it was never uncomfortable, I guess it all depends on how thin (or fat) your hands are, the climate you live in, your tendency to sweat, your tolerance to heat, etc

kbonnel

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2004
In a nice place..
My Macbook runs hot, always in the 60 - 70 range, and the fan drives me crazy. I came from a powerbook G4, and at least the fan was nice a quiet, even though it was on all the time... My macbook is a leaf blower :)

It just seems very easy to get the temps up.

Kimo

MacStormy

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2006
Replacement battery super hot

This is my first day using my replacement battery (after the recall) for the MacBook Pro, and it seems MUCH hotter than the allegedly fire-prone one. Anyone have that experience? i.e. there's no way to hold it on your lap without pain.
Chris

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
CDT says mines 53 C, cold handrest, and warm underside...

I recommend (if you haven't already) get a stand for it. The airflow should drop the temp a bit.

McT

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2006
My MB w/2Gigs will get noticeably hot after some epic Civ IV action or a Maelstrom all-nighter :p

But that's only because it's in my lap. With Garageband or other apps MB sits on my desk and the heat isn't noticable. For those who are powering down their systems to cool, don't. The machine will cool down if you just let it sleep for awhile. I also don't believe that the heat would damage the MB because it was designed to vent properly; only the design calls for venting heat directly onto your knees / lap :rolleyes:

I've added this to my birthday wishlist (Sept. 21!!! Booyah). Behold, the iLap :cool:
http://www.raindesigninc.com/ilap.html

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.