Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
I left my kids at my mothers house so I could take my wife out for dinner. While I was gone my younger sister was holding my 9 month old son while using my mothers macbook. He grabbed her water glass and poured it over the computer. It shut off immediately (on it's own they tell me), and so I took the battery out and set it like a tent to let the water drain out. Thing that has me worried is that when the magsafe adapter is plugged in to it, there is no light at all. I've had this happen to one of my old windows laptops and after a week or so it worked fine, but I'd expect the magsafe light to light up when plugged in even if the macbook is still wet.

I'm going to give it a few days of course, but can anyone tell me if they know whether or not the computer is coming back from this based on the magsafe issue?

Thanks in advance!

SLC

Dustman

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2007
I left my kids at my mothers house so I could take my wife out for dinner. While I was gone my younger sister was holding my 9 month old son while using my mothers macbook. He grabbed her water glass and poured it over the computer. It shut off immediately (on it's own they tell me), and so I took the battery out and set it like a tent to let the water drain out. Thing that has me worried is that when the magsafe adapter is plugged in to it, there is no light at all. I've had this happen to one of my old windows laptops and after a week or so it worked fine, but I'd expect the magsafe light to light up when plugged in even if the macbook is still wet.

I'm going to give it a few days of course, but can anyone tell me if they know whether or not the computer is coming back from this based on the magsafe issue?

Thanks in advance!

SLC

Plugging it in is a horrible idea, you'll short something out if you havent already. Best thing to do is to take out the battery, leave it sit and dry for a couple weeks, and then give 'er a go. If it doesnt work after that, your SOL.

eman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2007
In the great white north

Thanks in advance!

SLC

If you take the top case off (keyboard),this will let things dry out better. leaving the battery in or the magsafe attached is a bad idea. Let the macbook dry out completely. Not seeing any light on the magsafe is a bad sign.
Good luck!

DaBrain

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2007
ERIE, PA

Thanks in advance!

SLC

That is not a very smart thing to do! You should not apply ANY electricity to ANY device that has experianced this! You should remove any sources of electricity, IE: Battery and AC adapter and let it dry out COMPLETELY and I would say that means days not an hour or 2!

I think even if your device was not damaged, which I think it was when the water was spilt on it as you stated it shut down immediately, it probally shorted some circuits out

However reapplying the AC adapter after such a short duration insured your lap top frying!

Sorry but I think your in for MAJOR repairs/money!

Best of Luck! :eek:

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I hope it comes back (my daughter's cellphone that went through the washing machine actually came back to life after about 5 days of drying out), but if I were you I'd start saving my pennies for a new laptop. :(

Fuzzy14

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2006
Renfrew, Scotland
I'm amazed how many threads there are in here with people spilling coffee, beer, vomit, peeing etc etc over their computers. Hope it never happens to me!

Try searching for other posts on this topic for suggestions, here's one to start with.

krye

macrumors 68000
Aug 21, 2007
USA
Sorry to here about your loss, but I think your MacBook is toast. I bought a few broken MacBooks on eBay so I could swap the parts around a get a new one for cheap. I bough one with a smashed display and one with a fried logicboard. I put them together to get one working machine. I then sold all the extra parts back and ended up with a brand new working MacBook for $700.00.

Anyway, the point is, while I shopped I saw a bunch, I mean a lot, so many it's hard to believe, that were destroyed by people spilling the smallest amount of liquid over the keys. The MacBook is very unforgiving when it comes to liquid. Maybe you can do what I did. Buy a used MacBook with a broken screen and swap the logicboards. Liquid damage is not covered by AppleCare, and if you take it to Apple, they'll want to charge you something like $800 for a new logicboard.

Martron

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2007
you should call up applecare. i had a friend spill milk all over his macbook which was like 3 years old and he somehow got a brand new comp out of it.....i also spilled water on my dell once and they fixed it for me through their warrant, so try applecare, they may fix it...

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
you should call up applecare. i had a friend spill milk all over his macbook which was like 3 years old and he somehow got a brand new comp out of it.....i also spilled water on my dell once and they fixed it for me through their warrant, so try applecare, they may fix it...

Applecare will laugh in your face. That warranty is gone.

Answers to this and many other common questions can be found under the Guides tab at the top of this window

Hardware: Spilled Liquid on my Mac or Keyboard

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
Thanks for all your help people, I feel terrible since it was my 9 month old who pulled the water glass over onto the computer. Even worse since it wasn't my macbook. Mine was safe at home, but now my mother's is probably wrecked. Guess it's time for me to save up to help her repair/replace it.

SLC

::Lisa::

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2007
Nottingham, UK
If you find that it it broken after all that. Maybe it might be a possibility to claim off your mothers home insurance. Maybe YOU pay for her excess and if she looses any no claims bonus pay the extra she had to pay in loosing that also. Would be cheaper than repairing it if it was a possibility.

Just a thought.

musicforme

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Thanks for all your help people, I feel terrible since it was my 9 month old who pulled the water glass over onto the computer. Even worse since it wasn't my macbook. Mine was safe at home, but now my mother's is probably wrecked. Guess it's time for me to save up to help her repair/replace it.

As the parent of an almost 13 month old, I can visualize how this could happen.

That being said, don't feel too bad about it. Your Mother made the decision to bring an infant, glass of water, and the Macbook all in the same proximity of each other.

brad.c

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2004
50.813669°, -2.474796°
I doused my Bluetooth keyboard (extended, no less) with coffee two weeks ago, and I take it double-double. Lots of drying time, and a new set of torx wrenches later, it's back to normal. I hope you have as much luck as I did. :(

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
As the parent of an almost 13 month old, I can visualize how this could happen.

That being said, don't feel too bad about it. Your Mother made the decision to bring an infant, glass of water, and the Macbook all in the same proximity of each other.

Sad thing was that it was my younger sister who put those things together not my mother. My mother was at work and my sister was watching my kids. Yeah she should have known better, but I still feel responsible since it was my kid who reached out and pulled the glass over.

SLC

NC MacGuy

macrumors 603
Feb 9, 2005
The good side of the grass.
It may take a while to dry out but may come back to life - you never know about these things.

I'd remove battery and place it in sun or in a way to totally dry out. Liquid can find its way into very small places that will be hard to get totally dry.

I have used some unorthodox drying methods that have worked but I dare not post them. Suffice it to say as long as battery is removed a hair dryer is safe.

NC MacGuy

macrumors 603
Feb 9, 2005
The good side of the grass.
You may want to remove the hard drive and save your data quickly. It is located under the keyboard so the quicker you remove it the better. Hopefully at a minimum you'll be able to keep your data. You can always get an enclosure for cheap to make it an ext. or use it in another MB.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.