Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SodiumBenzoate

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 10, 2008
Has the touchpad been improved from the first generation MacBooks to the newest ones? I was trying out my sister's MacBook (purchased ~June 2006, IIRC) and having some issues with the touchpad. Sometimes it worked fine, other times it seemed to "stick". It's also possible that her's is just dirty, and that caused the issue. Thoughts/opinions of the touchpad?

Prost264

macrumors newbie
Feb 29, 2008
When I first got mine (Wednesday) I thought the trackpad was sticking but it ended up me having an extra finger on the pad without knowing it. I came from a Toshiba with a tiny trackpad so I always rested a finger right outside.

Kalafut

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2008
pocatello
When I first got mine (Wednesday) I thought the trackpad was sticking but it ended up me having an extra finger on the pad without knowing it. I came from a Toshiba with a tiny trackpad so I always rested a finger right outside.

lol i do that all the time, suddenly the web page will start scrolling when i am just trying to click on a link, lol

Macintosh Sauce

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2006
USA
Comparing the newer trackpad on my new black MacBook, I would have to say that it does feel better than the one on my wife's older black MacBook.

Pacer69

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2008
Another thing to keep in mind is this trackpad has a slightly different reaction than those of, say, the PPC line...I was in my local AS and I thought the MB touchpads were defective 'til I asked an employee. I learned that you have to hold your fingers at a slightly different angle than the PPC trackpads (I have a PB and an iB) to properly operate it. One of those things that takes a day or so to acclimate to, but no biggie. This MAY be what you were experiencing. Maybe not, though.

Slayerboym88

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2007
As a new mac user, i was surprised at how quickly i adjusted to the whole two finger scrolling/clicking vs. the side scroll and the right click. That said, the only problem i have with the track pad is that sometimes when i am typing, the ball of my thumb ends up resting on the trackpad and causes the mouse to start zipping around the screen! I've been working on keeping my hands at a different angle, but its causing my wrists to hurt kind of. Oh well, hopefully i will get used to it without carpal tunnel!

SodiumBenzoate

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 10, 2008
Yeah, I was definitely impressed by the scrolling. I'm still not feeling the single button, but I'm sure I'll get used to it once I purchase my own MacBook and use it more.

TheStu

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2006
Carlisle, PA
As a new mac user, i was surprised at how quickly i adjusted to the whole two finger scrolling/clicking vs. the side scroll and the right click. That said, the only problem i have with the track pad is that sometimes when i am typing, the ball of my thumb ends up resting on the trackpad and causes the mouse to start zipping around the screen! I've been working on keeping my hands at a different angle, but its causing my wrists to hurt kind of. Oh well, hopefully i will get used to it without carpal tunnel!

The trackpad should be set to ignore accidental input, unless you are in windows of course.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.