Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tom123

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 9, 2006
Ohio
MacBook - turbo - video

I'm reading a lot of comments about the MacBook not been able to do this and that, let me add, this MacBook is more than capable of doing many Mobile things, video is not one of them but if you must. There has been a hardware USB solution from Elgato called -turbo.264 HD - that has been out for at least eight years. The video encoder hardware turbo .264 HD does get warm but maybe that helps with the CPU throttling.

Handbrake has always made the best files, however it's not the fastest. Testing using the same file:

Handbrake got around 43 fps
Turbo got 104 fps

Both files ended up about the same size (using iPad output)

BeatCrazy

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2011
What is this hardware Elgato solution you speak of?

I have a Mac Pro, but 99% of its use is transcoding video, i.e. it's overkill. I wouldn't mind replacing it with a MacBook if I could offload some of the CPU intensive task that I do just a few times/week.

tom123

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 9, 2006
Ohio
Very interesting. Looks like the hardware is old/no longer supported. Too bad they don't seem to have a newer version.
I don't believe they do have a newer version, However the software does work on the latest Mac software El Capitan.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.