Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hueby46

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 24, 2017
Recently after replacing the battery in my late 2011 MBP, the system will shut off after several hours of having the lid closed. When opening the lid, instead of waking from sleep, the system won't power on unless it is plugged into the power adapter. I've tried holding the power button for 10 seconds; I've reset the SMC; and I've checked the Energy Saver settings and schedule to ensure that is not the culprit. OS is on the latest release (Sierra 10.12.5).

Very frustrating as I must have AC power in order to boot my laptop every day.

Any help is appreciated.

kevo409

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2017
The MacBook as well as many other surface or laptops, don't have a software gizmo to know when to put the unit in "sleep mode" or turn it off. It sounds very much like a physical contact that your lid makes to a switch on the inside. I am not 100% sure of this without seeing it. However, I invested a little money in tiny tools that will open your MacBook. Seeing is everything! I suspect also that your MacBook has a software but possibly hardwired connection between the charging port and the lid. It costs nothing but the small investment in tiny, micro tools for you to get a look-see! Good luck!

LiamPlayz

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2015
Recently after replacing the battery in my late 2011 MBP, the system will shut off after several hours of having the lid closed. When opening the lid, instead of waking from sleep, the system won't power on unless it is plugged into the power adapter. I've tried holding the power button for 10 seconds; I've reset the SMC; and I've checked the Energy Saver settings and schedule to ensure that is not the culprit. OS is on the latest release (Sierra 10.12.5).

Very frustrating as I must have AC power in order to boot my laptop every day.

Any help is appreciated.
Might just be a corrupted battery. I would return it and get a new one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.