Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JimmyDThing

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 23, 2007
I have a C2D MacBook and a Mini-DVI to Video Adapter.

It's very annoying that I can't close my MacBook while watching a video on my TV. Is there any way to at least turn off the LCD display? It's a killer on my battery!

Thanks.

ktbubster

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2007
US
I may be wrong... but if you happen to have a usb keyboard hanging around you could always also close the macbook after it's connected to the tv as a monitor and then wake it up with the external keyboard and use it clamshell.. walla... closed.

binaryspazz

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2007
I have a C2D MacBook and a Mini-DVI to Video Adapter.

It's very annoying that I can't close my MacBook while watching a video on my TV. Is there any way to at least turn off the LCD display? It's a killer on my battery!

Thanks.

I wanted the same thing too. The problem is, if you're watching moves form the computer (not dvd) then the computer gets rather warm.

however, there is a program that will keep your mac active while shut. check for InsomniaX. it even will let you keep your wifi ect while shut.

Veritas&Equitas

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Twin Cities, MN
I may be wrong... but if you happen to have a usb keyboard hanging around you could always also close the macbook after it's connected to the tv as a monitor and then wake it up with the external keyboard and use it clamshell.. walla... closed.
That's exactly what I do with my MBP in clamshell mode atop an Elevator when attached to my 37'' 1080p LCD; just use my bluetooth keyboard and mouse to wake it up while connected via DVI->HDMI. That's my setup about 95% of the time.

JimmyDThing

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 23, 2007

Yeah, I read this in the forums but it seems rather inconvenient. The existence of a keyboard or mouse should be irrelevant. The MacBook knows it's connected to another screen, there should be a function in the Display settings that allows you to turn the LCD off... especially since it ALSO knows to direct it's signal for NTSC/PAL... a TV is the most likely here, and who in their right mind would be doing anything other than watching a video on their TV?

I just think it's dumb that you need a keyboard/mouse to turn off the LCD.

I think I'm gonna check out that app later on though, thanks for the advice!

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
It's a bit of a pain, but it can be done. here's what I do ... keep in mind that I'm using the mini-DVI to DVI adapter and going to an HDTV, but your set up should work as well.

1. Connect the TV to your Macbook using the appropriate adapters.

2. Go into the Display System Preference and move the menu bar over to the TV, rather than the Built in LCD. This will set the TV as the primary display whenever you have the MB connected.

3. Put the MB to sleep by closing the lid.

4. Use the Apple Remote to wake up the MB by pressing the menu button.

5. You will now have the TV as the only display. If you open the MB lid, the screen will still be off, so if you worried about heat, then just pop the lid.

VIOLA!!!!

JimmyDThing

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 23, 2007
Wow... ftaok... tricky. I'm going to have to try that.

Am I alone in thinking that this shouldn't be this difficult? My previous laptop, a Toshiba Satellite, was much better about it... I could simply set it to turn off the screen when I closed it but not to turn off to the TV.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Wow... ftaok... tricky. I'm going to have to try that.

Am I alone in thinking that this shouldn't be this difficult? My previous laptop, a Toshiba Satellite, was much better about it... I could simply set it to turn off the screen when I closed it but not to turn off to the TV.

I think it's more of a philosophical thing. Apple has the OS set to sleep the MB when the lid is closed. So if you're working on your desk with a MB and an external display, you just close the lid and it goes to sleep.

I can see that some people may want to be able to turn off the MB's LCD when connected to an external, but I guess it's just not something that matches Apple's philosophy.

But at least there's a way to do it ... and honestly, once you've set it up the first time, the MB remembers that the external display is primary, so it's not a big deal later. Just connect the MB to the TV while it's closed/sleeping. Use the remote to wake it up. done. In fact, now that I think about it, you probably don't even need to set the external as the primary as long as you connect the TV while the MB is sleeping.

ft

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004

You don't even need a keyboard. Use the remote to wake it up.

JimmyDThing

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 23, 2007
I think it's more of a philosophical thing. Apple has the OS set to sleep the MB when the lid is closed. So if you're working on your desk with a MB and an external display, you just close the lid and it goes to sleep.

I can see that some people may want to be able to turn off the MB's LCD when connected to an external, but I guess it's just not something that matches Apple's philosophy.

But at least there's a way to do it ... and honestly, once you've set it up the first time, the MB remembers that the external display is primary, so it's not a big deal later. Just connect the MB to the TV while it's closed/sleeping. Use the remote to wake it up. done. In fact, now that I think about it, you probably don't even need to set the external as the primary as long as you connect the TV while the MB is sleeping.

ft

Yeah, I see what you're saying and if I were using it with another LCD screen or monitor, that would make sense. I just think since it knows that it's going to NTSC/PAL... it should realize the keyboard and mouse may not be necessary anymore and closing the lid shouldn't be an issue. I don't think many people would have use for connecting to an NTCS/PAL screen and need the keyboard or mouse.

anti-microsoft

macrumors 68000
Dec 15, 2006
Edinburgh, Scotland

ft
What if you want to connect it to a TV to use it as a Front Row media center? To show of pics on a full sized screen, listen to music...

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
What if you want to connect it to a TV to use it as a Front Row media center? To show of pics on a full sized screen, listen to music...

Well, then you use the Apple Remote to wake up the Macbook. You're going to be using the Remote for Front Row anyways.

My comment was directed to why doesn't Apple provide an easy way (as in a keyboard button combo) to turn off the LCD when connected to an external display. I contend that doing that just isn't Apple's "philosophy".

If you want to use the MB as a media center, use the remote.

ft

anti-microsoft

macrumors 68000
Dec 15, 2006
Edinburgh, Scotland
Well, then you use the Apple Remote to wake up the Macbook. You're going to be using the Remote for Front Row anyways.

My comment was directed to why doesn't Apple provide an easy way (as in a keyboard button combo) to turn off the LCD when connected to an external display. I contend that doing that just isn't Apple's "philosophy".

If you want to use the MB as a media center, use the remote.

ft

Thats what I meant:)!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.