Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CHAOS STEP

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Ok, so I currently have a Mac Mini (G4 1.5) and it's starting to show it's age when I rip my DVD's via Handbrake.

(My mini is linked to my Bravia as a media centre and I have tons of films on this and an external drive).

So I thought I would upgrade to a new MacMini and benefit from the new Intel Processors.

However the current crop of Intel Minis are at least one refresh away from really being the bump up in Spec that I need, but even if they do upgrade them, they probably won't be on the same par as the Macbook Spec.

So, I don't mind paying extra to have the benefit of a Laptop, provided that the Macbook will beat the performance of the Mini soundly.

Is this right, do the Macbooks have better chips and architecture compared to the Minis - I always seem to read that the Minis get the hand -me-downs processor wise?

krye

macrumors 68000
Aug 21, 2007
USA
I'd go with the MacBook before I went with the Mini. At least you get the benefits if having a laptop (read: lounging on the couch).
You can then connect your K/V/M when you want to use it as a desktop. Rumor has it that the Mini is going to see another refresh. Maybe hold out for a bit and see what is in store for the Mini.

DannySmurf

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2005
Well clearly if you're cost-conscious and don't care about portability, take the mini, since it's half the price of the MacBook.

For performance, I don't know that the MacBook beats the mini "soundly," as you put it. There's some difference between the chips in the two, of course, but the difference may not be as big as you're expecting.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
wait and see what happens to ht mini in the next refresh. Obviously the macbook wins as they are now, but the macbook was recently updated and the mini is long overdue.

Cave Man

macrumors 604
Ok, so I currently have a Mac Mini (G4 1.5) and it's starting to show it's age when I rip my DVD's via Handbrake.

I imagine that is quite painful.

My mini is linked to my Bravia as a media centre and I have tons of films on this and an external drive. So I thought I would upgrade to a new MacMini and benefit from the new Intel Processors.

You'll see a dramatic improvement over your G4 Mini. What are the intended purposes for your computer? Principally as a replacement media center?

However the current crop of Intel Minis are at least one refresh away from really being the bump up in Spec that I need, but even if they do upgrade them, they probably won't be on the same par as the Macbook Spec.

In all likelihood, they'll be identical to the current MacBooks (perhaps a bit slower processors).

So, I don't mind paying extra to have the benefit of a Laptop, provided that the Macbook will beat the performance of the Mini soundly.

The MacBooks have a clear edge, but it's not substantial.

Is this right, do the Macbooks have better chips and architecture compared to the Minis - I always seem to read that the Minis get the hand -me-downs processor wise?

The current Minis are not quite up to speed with the current MacBooks. But that will likely change in the coming weeks.

CHAOS STEP

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Thanks for all the responses, I'm just getting impatient with Apple for not updating the Mini. :)

Also a Laptop would be nice, but to be honest it's not really essential.

I imagine that is quite painful.

You'll see a dramatic improvement over your G4 Mini. What are the intended purposes for your computer? Principally as a replacement media center?

Yeh it takes forever to encode at 264!

The mini would stay where it was if I got a laptop - I would just need it to play the video files that were converted on the MacBook.

I don't do anything else too intensive on the Mini - just net, mail , iTunes, Office etc. I have had tons of use out of the little thing since I've had it, so I've had my moneys worth.

I will try to hang on for an update, but I pass by a store with MacBooks shouting at me every day. :)

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
I will try to hang on for an update, but I pass by a store with MacBooks shouting at me every day. :)

I wouldn't bother waiting. Get a MacBook. Transferring converted files to your G4 Mini is a cinch with Leopard, or if you know how use FTP (its faster). And overall why get another mini when you can have a mini and a MacBook.
C'mon, you know you want to!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.