Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
Ya, the title doesn't make much sense to me either, but I couldn't think of a better one.

It's a pretty simple question: As of now, my MacBook has 512 MB of system RAM, which I've read isn't enough to support Aero. If I install Windows now, and upgrade the RAM later, will Aero automatically appear, or will I have to re-install Windows?

Thanks

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
NO! :) Have you enabled the lakeport drivers rather than the drivers that default load?

Once you've done that you have to choose the aero theme yourself, it wont automatically appear.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
MacRumorUser said:
NO! :) Have you enabled the lakeport drivers rather than the drivers that default load?

Once you've done that you have to choose the aero theme yourself, it wont automatically appear.
Well, I haven't done anything yet.

So if I install Windows now, then upgrade the RAM and install the lakeport drivers later, will Aero still appear, or will I have to reinstall Windows?

iUserz

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2006
you'll have to change a setting for your theme, but no, you won't have to reinstall windows:eek:

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
EricNau said:
Ya, the title doesn't make much sense to me either, but I couldn't think of a better one.

It's a pretty simple question: As of now, my MacBook has 512 MB of system RAM, which I've read isn't enough to support Aero. If I install Windows now, and upgrade the RAM later, will Aero automatically appear, or will I have to re-install Windows?

Thanks

Vista requires more than 512 MB to run the GUI?
Geez! Hadn't checked the requirements. That's ridiculous.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
GFLPraxis said:
Vista requires more than 512 MB to run the GUI?
Geez! Hadn't checked the requirements. That's ridiculous.
I'm not sure what the official requirements are, but because the MacBook uses shared graphics memory, Windows will not dedicate enough RAM for graphics to run Aero unless you have more than 512 system RAM.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Have you run the system update. The new version of drivers install and aero should suddenly become selectable in appearance menu.

you no longer have to manually choose the lakepoint drivers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.