Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MRTpower

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 1, 2021
Hello,
My 2016 MacBook Pro 16" became very slow, heats up a lot and drains battery in only 3 hours after BigSur .. I have also 2018 iPad Pro 11"
I want to upgrade now and thinking about the following options:

- Another laptop next to my 11" iPad Pro (either MacBook Air M1 or wait for the new MacBook Pro hopefully mid October)
- Desk top (Mac mini M1) + 12.9" iPad Pro M1

I already have a nice monitor (Samsung M7 32") and apple magic keyboard and trackpad in both my work and home office where I just connect my MacBook Pro to. I was thinking about x2 Mac mini M1 16GB 1TB at both locations to be fixed set up and upgrade my iPad to the iPad Pro 12.9" M1 1TB with magic keyboard for my daily hand written notes and to use it as laptop replacement while travelling or on the go.

I don't know if this is COVID effect that I don't really feel the value of my MacBook Pro since travelling is still very limited and I just carry my MBP everyday to the office to connect it to the screen and back home to connect it to another screen! Or the iPad Pro 12.9" with magic keyboard looks very sexy to me and I will regret this decision later!

I am an engineering projects manager, used to manage sites, but now moved to higher level business management and my daily usage is 90% limited to MS Office and Safari ... I am also studying EMBA and feel like iPad is enough in the class and nice desk top at home is good for researching and writing papers.

Looking for your thoughts and advises.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
I think you answered your question, and enjoy your soon to be MacBook pro!
most apple users tote their iPads more and lately.
there are some downsides to just using an iPad though,
iPads gather useless data that sits in the device for days at times that some may find annoying, like me.
therefore a MacBook pro or air can gather and control for data easier.

Madhatter32

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2020
I personally would opt for the MBP rather than go with two devices to get work done. I like to flexibility of using the same device at home and work. If, however, portability for travelling is paramount, the iPad is great for that use case. They are good for consuming content as well. For me though, the MBP gets all of it done in one form factor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.